Three suspects in Bachok acid attack identified through CCTV footage


KOTA BARU: Police have identified two women and a man believed to be involved in an acid attack on a woman in Bachok on Saturday (May 17).

Bachok OCPD Supt Mohamad Ismail Jamaluddin said this was based on footage from two operational CCTV cameras at the scene.

He said the footage showed the suspects fleeing the area in haste, believed to be shortly after the incident.

ALSO READ: Woman splashed with acid in Bachok

"So far, statements have been recorded from five witnesses, and investigations are ongoing. More witnesses may be called in if needed,” he said on Wednesday (May 21).

Police also visited nine hardware stores around Bachok but none were found to sell acid similar to that used in the attack.

Supt Ismail added that it is likely the highly concentrated acid was obtained from outside the district, as local stores did not carry it.

Police are also investigating the victim’s claim that acid had previously been poured in front of her business premises as a threat. However, no official report was lodged regarding that alleged incident.

ALSO READ: Cops hunting for three suspects in brutal acid attack on Bachok spa owner

The case is being investigated under Section 326 of the Penal Code for voluntarily causing grievous hurt using a dangerous substance, which carries a maximum prison sentence of 20 years, as well as whipping or a fine, upon conviction.

The attack occurred near a convenience store in Beris Kubur Besar, Tawang, as the woman was unlocking her shop to attend to a scheduled massage appointment. An unidentified individual splashed her with a corrosive liquid before fleeing.

The victim suffered severe burns to her shoulder, back, arms and legs. She is currently in stable condition and receiving treatment at the Burn Unit of Hospital Universiti Sains Malaysia in Kubang Kerian. – Bernama

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Man slashes another over parking space dispute in Cheras
Azam gives statement on shareholding issue to special probe panel
Sahur turns tragic as fire razes four homes in Kepala Batas
MACC detains T'ganu exco man in abuse of power probe
All four leaders expected to be at Perikatan Supreme Council meet today
SAR op ongoing for missing angler in Pontian
Miri man duped out of RM230,000 in fake investment scheme
Cops nab smash-and-grab suspect who targeted parked cars at MRT stations
Social media user hauled up over X post insulting Terengganu royal family
Domestic Trade Ministry mobilises 2,400 enforcement officers for Ops Pantau 2026

Others Also Read