Senior citizen acknowledges murder charge after cops help him into the dock


Photo by ZHAFARAN NASIB/The Star

BUTTERWORTH: After two police personnel helped him walk to and sit in the dock, a 70-year-old acknowledged the murder charge brought against him in the Sessions Court here.

Yee Fatt Seong said he understood the contents of the charge sheet after they were read to him in Mandarin before judge Nor Azah Kasran on Tuesday (May 6).

No plea was recorded from the accused as murder cases are under the jurisdiction of the High Court.

According to the charge sheet, Yee is accused of murdering Loo Ah Teong, 63, between 2pm and 3.22pm on April 27 at a hut on Jalan Kolam in Ceruk Tokun, Bukit Mertajam.

He is charged under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder, which provides for the death penalty, or between 30 and 40 years in jail with no fewer than 12 strokes of the cane, upon conviction.

ALSO READ: Senior citizen nabbed for stabbing another to death in Penang

DPP Nurameera Shahrul Azrin prosecuted while Yee was unrepresented.

As he was being taken to court, Yee posed for press photographers and flashed the "peace" sign.

He napped in court while waiting for his case to come up, and needed help to stand and proceed to the dock.

It was reported on April 29 that a senior citizen had been arrested for murdering another man during an altercation.

Central Seberang Prai OCPD Asst Comm Helmi Aris said the suspect was arrested in front of a coffee shop in Machang Bubok at about 11pm on April 29.

On April 27, a brawl resulted in the death of one man at a hut in Cherok Tokun.

Investigations found that the victim was chatting with five friends, including the suspect, at the time.

The suspect is said to have suddenly hit the victim with a stick before stabbing him.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

US tariff ruling lifts market sentiment, positive for M'sian markets, say economists
Amanah looks at contesting 20 seats in Johor polls, subject to talks within PH, says state party chief
Fire razes 10 houses in Kota Belud, families moved to relief centre
DAP members, leaders must respect outcome of special congress, says Chow
Ramanan lauds SJKT Ladang Kinrara's success at international youth STEM event
Man nabbed while trying to steal railway cables between Kempas Baru, Kulai
Tengku Panglima Perang Pahang visits family of late Trooper Indiran
Govt has improved Armed Forces procurement procedures, says Defence Minister
Beware fake MACC article on scam site posing as The Star
Sabah flood evacuees increase to 4,652 in northern districts

Others Also Read