Factory worker loses RM330,000 to investment scam


BATU PAHAT: A factory worker here claims he lost RM330,400 in a non-existent investment scheme after receiving a WhatsApp message in January.

Batu Pahat OCPD Asst Comm Shahrulanuar Mushaddat Abdullah Sani said the victim was attracted to the high returns in the supposed "Hong Kong Share Investment" opportunity.

“The suspect then briefed the 57-year-old victim on the procedure for participation," he said in a statement on Friday (May 2).

ACP Shahrulanuar said the victim made several transactions amounting to RM330,400 into two bank accounts between Feb 19 and March 18.

“The victim only realised he had been cheated when he did not receive the promised returns," he said.

ACP Shahrulanuar Mushaddat reminded the public to be alert and careful when dealing with unknown persons, especially involving financial transactions.

The public can also check the Semak Mule application, contact the Commercial Crime Investigation Department's Scam Response Centre at 03-26101559 or 03-26101599, or refer to the police Facebook accounts jsjkpdrm and cybercrimealertrmp.

Scam victims are also advised to call the National Scam Response Centre at 997 to report their case.

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Prioritise welfare of police personnel, says Dr Wan Azizah
Traffic slows on major expressways as at noon
Building tech ecosystem to help Perak SMEs compete
Woman who stabbed mother remanded seven days
Rafizi to proceed with lawsuit against Caprice over alleged defamation
Body of drowned Chinese national found
All govt agencies mobilised to assist flood victims in Sabah, says Zahid
Three more suspended in HRD Corp governance reset
Penang's esplanade seawall, promenade project wins Unesco heritage award
DAP’s pledge to back unity govt key to stability, says Fuziah

Others Also Read