Man who killed own parents had no disorder, court told


KUALA LUMPUR: The High Court here was told that an unemployed man, who pleaded guilty to murdering his parents, was sane when he committed the offence.

Deputy public prosecutor Izalina Abdullah told judge K. Muniandy that based on a psychiatric medical report from Hospital Bahagia Ulu Kinta, Ipoh, dated Feb 7, 2025, she was of the opinion that Afendi Muhammad Agus @ Muhamed Ali Omar, 44, did not suffer from any mental disorder and that at the time of the incident on Dec 9, 2023, the man was sane.

“The accused was aware of the nature and consequences of his actions and was able to know that the actions were wrong and against the law.

“The accused’s mental state was stable on the date this report was written.

“The accused is fit to be brought to court for trial and is capable of defending himself,” said Izalina during the case mention proceedings yesterday, Bernama reported.

Judge Muniandy set May 20 for the facts and sentence.

On Nov 27 last year, Judge Muniandy had ordered Afendi to undergo a psychiatric evaluation to ensure the accused was sane when pleading guilty on Sept 6, 2024 and that he had also done it voluntarily.

Afendi is charged with murdering Muhammad Agus@Muhamed Ali Omar, 82, and Darlisma Njatu Saleh, 72, at a house in Kampung Sungai Penchala here at 7.10pm and 7.20pm on Dec 9, 2023.

The charges were brought under Section 302 of the Penal Code which provides for the death penalty or imprisonment of not less than 30 years and not more than 40 years, as well as not less than 12 strokes of the cane, if convicted.

Previously, the media reported that the bodies of an elderly couple were found in the living room of their residence with several stab wounds after a fight between the man and his parents.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Azam Baki files defamation suit against news agency
Anwar hosts reception for Singapore PM Wong, discusses efforts to strengthen ties
Selangor Sultan receives RM11.47mil in business tithe contributions
Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar

Others Also Read