Two killed after chariot falls on them


Compiled by TRACY GUNAPALAN, C. ARUNO and R. ARAVINTHAN

TWO devotees were killed when a 46.3m tall chariot collapsed during a temple procession near Benga­luru, India.

Makkal Osai reported that the pair were among the people pulling the chariot slowly during a religious procession that day.

As it was raining, and with wind picking up, the chariot started to sway.

Suddenly, it crashed onto the gathered devotees, trapping 11 people.

Policemen and firefighters, who had been on standby, swung into action.

There were conflicting reports on the victims’ ages but it is believed that one of them was a 24-year-old man from Tamil Nadu who died on the spot, while the other victim was 14 years old.

A second chariot, which was even taller at almost 52m, also reportedly fell over during the procession.

The above articles are compiled from the vernacular newspapers (Bahasa Malaysia, Chinese and Tamil dailies). As such, stories are grouped according to the respective language/medium. Where a paragraph begins with a, it denotes a separate news item.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
other news and views

Next In Nation

Johor MACC committed to working closely with state govt to enhance good governance, strengthen integrity
PAS to discuss Opposition Leader position on Feb 22, says Hadi
Anwar seeks swift passage of Bill limiting PM to two terms
Police seek public help to locate Myanmar teen missing since Jan 31
Police inspector recharged with failing to arrest suspect under Arms Act
Unemployed man charged with murder ordered to undergo psychiatric assessment
Over 37 tonnes of e-waste seized in Port Klang by AKPS
Over 350 landowners appeal Penang’s revised land tax, says Chow
Sabah floods: Victims told to prioritise safety as Paitan, Kota Marudu, Pitas declared disaster zones
Microsleep accounts for 20% of road accidents, says Miros

Others Also Read