Ex-1MDB chairman unhappy US$700mil funnelled out of company, witness tells court


 

PUTRAJAYA: A former investigating officer testified at the High Court that former 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) chairman Tan Sri Mohd Bakke Salleh was unhappy over the incident where US$700mil was funnelled out of the company.

Senior Asst Comm R. Rajagopal, who had recorded Mohd Bakke's statement, said the US$700mil was initially meant for a joint venture between 1MDB and PetroSaudi International Ltd (PSI).

The witness said Mohd Bakke and the company's board of directors were unhappy that while the agreement was supposed to be between 1MDB and PSI, the written agreement was between 1MDB and a shell company based in Cayman Islands, with the latter allegedly linked to PSI.

"When we recorded their (Mohd Bakke, among other board members) statements as far as their understanding was, it was between 1MDB and PSI, hence when I recorded Bakke's statement, he was unhappy over the agreement and where the US$700mil went," Rajagopal said in the RM2.28bil 1MDB graft trial involving former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak here on Tuesday (March 25).

It was later testified in court that the US$700mil ended up in Good Star Ltd, a company said to be linked to fugitive businessman Low Taek Jho whom the defence have contended to be the mastermind behind the 1MDB scandal.

On Oct 30, last year, Najib was ordered by the High Court to enter his defence on four counts of using his position to obtain RM2.28bil gratification from 1MDB's funds and 21 counts of money laundering involving the same amount.

The hearing continues before Justice Collin Lawrence Sequerah on Wednesday (March 26).

COMP

COURTS CRIME

Keywords:

--

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
1MDB , Chairman , US$700mil , Witness , High Court , Najib Razak , Trial

Next In Nation

WCE Section 3 targets year-end completion, to open in 2027
Govt expands AI development to rural areas to improve tech literacy
Removing numbers from counters has curtailed illegal entry syndicates, says Johor Immigration
46,542 commuting accidents recorded in 2025, says PERKESO
Man nabbed after failed snatch theft attempt in hospital parking lot
Sabah drafting 25-year forest conservation plan
Lorry driver arrested over use of fake permits to buy subsidised petrol
Sabah maintains carbon-negative status, expands forest projects
RM2.5mil for Wesak grassroots activities, says Anthony Loke
Thunderstorms and heavy rain expected on east coast, other states until 4pm

Others Also Read