Five issued fines for mishandling sea turtles in Sabah


KOTA KINABALU: Five people linked to the mishandling of sea turtles at Pulau Manukan have been issued with compound notices.

Sabah Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Datuk Christina Liew said the notices were given to both the individuals and the responsible company.

"Their actions are irresponsible and contradict Sabah’s marine conservation principles. We urge all tourism operators to play a more responsible role in ensuring compliance with guidelines and regulations," she said in a statement.

She added that the state government remains committed to environmental conservation and warned it will not tolerate any violations of wildlife protection laws.

The compounds were issued under the Parks Enactment 1984 (Amendment 2024) following a viral video of the incident earlier this week.

The identities of the five workers were identified and their statements recorded by Sabah Parks authorities on March 13.

A fine of RM25,000 was imposed on the company while a maximum RM5,000 fine were slapped onto the individuals involved.

Manukan Island, located just 10 minutes from the heart of the city, is within the Tunku Abdul Rahman Park area and is under Sabah Parks’ purview.

The incident was widely highlighted on social media after a 30-second video was uploaded by the Tropical Research and Conservation Centre (TRACC) site earlier this week, showing several divers surrounding the turtle, gripping its shell and limbs as it struggled to break free.

Despite the turtle’s distress, the divers continued to hold it down and pose for the camera.

This caused public outrage, especially among wildlife advocates and environmentalists.

Sea turtles are fully protected under the Sabah Wildlife Conservation Enactment, and possessing, touching, or mishandling them in any way is prohibited.

Offenders are liable to a maximum fine of RM50,000 and between one and five years' imprisonment.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar
More than a gimmick, 'roti pocong' a hit at Paroi Ramadan bazaar
Melaka assembly may dissolve in April, state poll expected in June
Plight of two families in Banting fire draws Anwar's attention

Others Also Read