Missing MyKad leads to forgery syndicate bust


Tools of the illegal trade: Counterfeit-producing equipment along with the fake MyKad and fake birth certificates from the syndicate being displayed during the press conference in Putrajaya. — AZHAR MAHFOF/The Star

PUTRAJAYA: When a lost MyKad was discovered to have been used, the National Registration Department (NRD) uncovered a counterfeit identity card syndicate producing forged MyKads, says Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail.

He explained that the indivi­dual had lost his MyKad 12 years ago. The man subsequently claimed on social media that someone had used his MyKad details to buy a smartphone in Cheras on Dec 11 last year, resulting in a financial loss exceeding RM14,000.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
NRD ,

Next In Nation

Johor MACC committed to working closely with state govt to enhance good governance, strengthen integrity
PAS to discuss Opposition Leader position on Feb 22, says Hadi
Anwar seeks swift passage of Bill limiting PM to two terms
Police seek public help to locate Myanmar teen missing since Jan 31
Police inspector recharged with failing to arrest suspect under Arms Act
Unemployed man charged with murder ordered to undergo psychiatric assessment
Over 37 tonnes of e-waste seized in Port Klang by AKPS
Over 350 landowners appeal Penang’s revised land tax, says Chow
Sabah floods: Victims told to prioritise safety as Paitan, Kota Marudu, Pitas declared disaster zones
Microsleep accounts for 20% of road accidents, says Miros

Others Also Read