Not enough evidence to charge Zeti, says Azalina


KUALA LUMPUR: There is inadequate evidence to press charges against former Bank Negara governor Tan Sri Zeti Akhtar Aziz over the alleged transfer of 1MDB funds, says Datuk Seri Azalina Othman Said.

"I'm answering on behalf of the Attorney General's Chambers (AGC) and based on the responses received by them, they do not have enough evidence to press charges against Zeti.

"But, it should be noted that any criminal offence has no limitation period," said the Minister in the Prime Minister's Department (Law and Institutional Reforms) in a Parliamentary written reply dated Feb 27.

Azalina was responding to Lim Lip Eng (PH-Kepong), who asked whether a full investigation had been conducted on Zeti's assets and those of her husband and children over the 1MDB scandal.

Azalina also said the police' anti-money laundering crime investigation team had not opened an investigation paper on Zeti or her family

Azalina said police are currently probing Zeti's husband Datuk Tawfiq Ayman and other related parties after a report was lodged at the Dang Wangi police station.

"Investigations on the case are still being done," she said.

Azalina also said Tawfiq is being investigated under Section 4(1)(a) of the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act 2001.

Zeti has denied any wrongdoing and claimed the allegations against her and her family were false and malicious.

Zeti had also testified as a key prosecution witness in the 1MDB trial of former premier Datuk Seri Najib Razak.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Anwar takes over Pandan as adopted constituency
Supporters gather in KLIA to welcome Global Sumud Flotilla activists’ return
Shots fired at suspects attempting to ram policemen
Traffic builds up on major highways as holiday travellers return
Malaysian citizen confirmed dead in Philippine building collapse
Bersatu claims PAS failed to work together to resolve Perlis, NS crises
Two killed in road collision near Bagan Serai
We are the moderate brand that gave you votes, Bersatu tells PAS off
Don’t poke into our internal affairs, Bersatu tells PAS
Defence Ministry mulling offers to replace cancelled Norwegian missile deal

Others Also Read