'Bantuan Wang Ihsan' for flood victims to be distributed via BSN starting this year, says Ahmad Zahid


KOTA KINABALU: The National Disaster Management Agency (NADMA) and the Ministry of Finance (MOF) have agreed to distribute the Bantuan Wang Ihsan (Compassionate Aid) for flood victims through Bank Simpanan Nasional (BSN) starting this year, said Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.

The Deputy Prime Minister said this would be a departure from the conventional method of distributing aid through District Offices and the Village Development and Security Committee (JKKK).

Ahmad Zahid, who is also the National Disaster Management Committee chairman, said the Bantuan Wang Ihsan had been handed over to state governments for distribution to flood victims evacuated to temporary relief centres (PPS). However, some flood victims did not stay at PPS.

"Therefore, starting this year, Nadma and MOF have changed the distribution method to no longer follow the conventional system. We have held discussions to ensure that the list of relocated flood victims receives the Bantuan Wang Ihsan through BSN.

"This means they can go to BSN to claim the Bantuan Wang Ihsan," he told reporters after visiting the Kota Kinabalu Lido Flood Mitigation Project here Monday (Feb 24).

Also present was Entrepreneur Development and Cooperatives Minister Datuk Ewon Benedick, who is also the Penampang Member of Parliament.

Ahmad Zahid mentioned that the governments of Sabah and Sarawak had requested to direct Bantuan Wang Ihsan to flood victims who did not move to PPS. To do this, it would be necessary to verify their status as flood victims.

"In this matter, we have undertaken governance measures to confirm that floods indeed affect them. We will obtain verification from the District Disaster Committee before implementing this policy adjustment," he said.

Meanwhile, he said the recent Northeast Monsoon (MTL), which ended with floods in Sabah and Sarawak, resulted in approximately 223,000 cumulative flood victims being evacuated.

"We have provided sufficient PPS facilities capable of accommodating around 2.1 million flood victims," he said, expressing gratitude to all parties, especially those who worked tirelessly to assist people affected by the disaster. – Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Sabah , Ahmad Zahid Hamdi , Floods , Disaster , Aid

Next In Nation

Court 'no' to prohibition order against Na'imah, son and others over alleged funds in S'pore banks
Youths encouraged to turn tree planting into a habit
Energy supply secure, says PM Anwar after govt assures of supply until December
Seremban factory worker fined for wrongful abortion
Stricter safeguards for children under changes to online safety law from June 1
51 luxury vehicles with total unpaid road tax of RM175,000 seized in Penang this year
PAS to review ties with Bersatu as patience has its limits, says Hadi
Setting up a public sex offenders registry an uphill task, says Nancy
Convene Negri assembly now to test MB mandate, Tok Mat tells Aminuddin
Car crash in Gombak kills three students, injures one

Others Also Read