Water supply to affected users in Tapah to resume starting tomorrow, says Perak exco man


IPOH: The water supply disruptions that affected over 50,000 account holders in Tapah are expected to be restored gradually starting from tomorrow, says Datuk Seri Mohammad Nizar Jamaluddin (pic).

The Perak Infrastructure, Energy, Water and Public Transport committee chairman said the water cut was due to a leak in the raw water pipeline from the Batu 7, Sungai Woh intake which supplies water to the Bukit Temoh Water Treatment Plant (LRA).

He added that the Perak Water Authority (LAP) has carried out repair works and expects the water supply to be restored within three days at the latest, depending on the current situation such as the possibility of more burst pipes.

"If repair works are completed today, water supply can be distributed to at least 50% of the affected consumers tomorrow morning.

"The remaining 50% depends on other additional works that can be completed as early as two to three days," he said in a press conference at the Bangunan Perak Darul Ridzuan here Monday (Feb 10).

He said the Perak Water Board (LAP) is carrying out 500m bypass works on two pipelines in the area that supply raw water to the Bukit Temoh Water Treatment Plant (LRA).

There are two pipelines supplying raw water to the Bukit Temoh LRA which pass through this area, namely an 825mm pipe from the Batu 7 intake, Sg Woh and a 900mm pipe from the Batu 10 intake, Sg Batang Padang.

"I apologise to all users and the state government would like to restore the water supply as soon as possible," he said.

He said the Bukit Temoh LRA supplies water to Batang Padang and Hilir Perak area.

He added that the areas involved in water supply disruption in Batang Padang are Tapah Road, Changkat Petai, Tanjung Keramat, Air Kuning, Sungai Kroh, Kg. Tersusun Air Kuning, Chenderong Kelubi, STMD, Jalan Temoh Station, Temoh and surrounding areas.

HIlir Perak involves Labu Kubong District, Manik River, Langkap, Chui Chak, Kg. Air Hitam, Changkat Jong, Jalan Padang Tembak, Kg. Banjar, Kg. Selabak, Kg. Bahagia, Jalan Maharajalela, Jalan Sultan Abdullah, Pekan Teluk Intan and its surrounding area.

Also present were the LAP General Manager Lokman Abd Rahim and Perak Northern Region Director of the National Water Services Commission (SPAN), Mohd Zaidi Mohamad Saad.

Meanwhile, Lokman said the leakage was caused by soil movement, which had been raised more than 10m above the 825mm LAP pipe from the Batu 7 intake, Sg Woh by the developer.

The impact caused landslide and had affected three houses near Taman Bunga Raya.

He added that the overall repair cost is estimated to be RM1.2mil.

He also said that over 20 water tanks have been deployed to the affected areas for water distribution.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Water , supply , disruption , restore , gradually , leakage , Tapah , Ipoh

Next In Nation

Ramanan lauds SJKT Ladang Kinrara's success at international youth STEM event
Man nabbed while trying to steal railway cables between Kempas Baru, Kulai
Tengku Panglima Perang Pahang visits family of late Trooper Indiran
Govt has improved Armed Forces procurement procedures, says Defence Minister
Beware fake MACC article on scam site posing as The Star
Sabah flood evacuees increase to 4,652 in northern districts
No elements of abuse, bullying found in Trooper Indiran's death, says Khaled
Ex-Bersatu members welcome to join Umno, says Khaled
70-year-old woman swindled out of jewellery in 'pukau' scam
TB outbreak: Mask up at crowded places like Ramadan bazaars, public urged

Others Also Read