Nation Exclusive

Money in suitcase saga shut at last


Not your everyday find: A file photo of Comm Hussein (right) showing the suitcase and wads of cash discovered at a shopping mall in Petaling Jaya in March 2024. — Bernama

PETALING JAYA: A mysterious suitcase containing more than RM500,000 that was left in a parking lot of a mall here has finally been quietly reunited with its owner – eight months later.

It is learnt that the suitcase and cash were handed over to a company owner who is in his 50s.

Selangor police chief Comm Datuk Hussein Omar Khan said the man had made a police report to claim the suitcase and cash.

“The deputy public prosecutor had instructed that the cash and the suitcase be released to him through a court order.

“It was handed over sometime in mid-November,” he told The Star. And with that, he said the case was deemed closed.

But like any good mystery, there have been numerous questions surrounding the bag and the substantial amount of cash ever since a security guard at a shopping mall in Selangor stumbled upon it on March 20 last year.

It is learnt that the owner had accidentally left it at the parking lot of the mall.

The suitcase appeared to be an ordinary piece of travel luggage, yet it caused a stir when found abandoned in the parking lot.

Due to the large amount of cash inside it, investigators had to painstakingly count the money, which was in denominations of RM50 and RM100 notes.

For months, it remained unclaimed despite a company representative coming forward initially to claim the suitcase days after its discovery.

The representative lodged a police report in Shah Alam, but he did not show up at the Damansara police station when summoned, citing reasons such as illness and having to attend meetings.

“He is required to go to the police station to provide proof of ownership (of the cash) and to give his statement pertaining to the investigation,” Comm Hussein was quoted as saying at the time.

The 39-year-old security guard who found the suitcase was presented with an award by his employer for his honesty.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Beware fake MACC article on scam site posing as The Star
Sabah flood evacuees increase to 4,652 in northern districts
No elements of abuse, bullying found in Trooper Indiran's death, says Khaled
Ex-Bersatu members welcome to join Umno, says Khaled
70-year-old woman swindled out of jewellery in 'pukau' scam
TB outbreak: Mask up at crowded places like Ramadan bazaars, public urged
Public inspection for LRT Mutiara Line extension linking Penang Island, Seberang Perai
12 police personnel suspended over cryptocurrency theft
Bill to cap PM’s term at 10 years to be tabled on Monday
Cops nab man connected to 2025 intimidation case

Others Also Read