Floods: Hundreds of families displaced in Kota Tinggi following heavy rain


JOHOR BARU: The ongoing rain since Friday (Jan 10) morning has resulted in hundreds of families being evacuated from their homes to the temporary relief centres (PPS).

The Johor disaster management committee said that as of 8am on Saturday (Jan 11), a total of 897 people from 303 families had been relocated to 13 PPS.

So far only the Kota Tinggi district has been affected by the flood.

“The highest number of flood victims are from Taman Aman and Taman Mawai in Johor Lama, with a total of 489 people from 161 families.

“All of the victims are currently placed at SJKC New Kota, Sekolah Rendah Agama Bersepadu Kota Tinggi, and SK Laksamana,” it said in a statement.

Five rivers, Sungai Endau in Kluang, Sungai Johor near Kampung Siam, Sungai Pulai near Kampung Ulu Pulai, Sungai Skudai near Kampung Laut, and Sungai Tebrau near Taman Sri Pandan, are also recording dangerous level readings.

Six roads in Kota Tinggi are also closed off from all vehicles after being flooded.

The affected roads are Jalan Lok Heng-Mawai, Jalan Mawai Lama, Ladang Siang, Jalan Johor Baru-Endau, Jalan Kota Tinggi-Kluang, and Jalan Kota Tinggi-Sungai Rengit.

Earlier, the Malaysian Meteorological Department (MetMalaysia) issued a continuous rain warning for Pahang, Johor, and several other states until Sunday (Jan 12).

Meanwhile, Kota Tinggi OCPD Supt Yusof Othman said that a man was rescued after his car was swept away by the current at Jalan Liku Cina, near Taman Aman.

“The incident occurred at 11.30pm on Friday when some of the team were evacuating flood victims.

“The car was stuck on an electric pole while the driver was sitting on top of his vehicle,” he said, adding that the victim had lodged a police report on the incident.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Flood , Monsoon , Kota Tinggi , Police , PPS

Next In Nation

Police obtain several leads in Seri Tambun shooting case
Man nabbed over threatening Facebook post, sword seized
‘No idea why I was dropped’: Former 1MDB CEO denies striking deal to have name removed from US$5.64bil suit
Increase Budi Diesel quota to 500 litres for Sabahans, urges state PKR Youth
Appeals court upholds RM3.4mil order against former Mara Corp group CEO
Sarawak’s sovereign data platform to strengthen AI capabilities, says Abang Jo
Pakatan leaders to meet to discuss outcomes of PKR congress, DAP conference, says Fahmi
Singapore to halt construction waste exports to Malaysia, says SWCorp
Nation's six per cent GDP growth benefits must be felt by the people, says Fahmi
MACC seeks local woman to assist in probe

Others Also Read