Fined for having child porn


Camera-shy: Koay shielding his face from the media while being escorted to the Balik Pulau Magistrate’s Court.

Father of two admits to possession of X-rated videos

BALIK PULAU: A father of two has been fined RM6,000 by a Magistrate’s Court here for possessing child sexual abuse materials (CSAM) and pornographic videos on his computer.

Koay Lian San, a 45-year-old engineer, pleaded guilty to two charges before magistrate Chia Huey Ting yesterday.

For the first charge, he is accused of possessing CSAM at his residence in Bayan Lepas at 9.20pm on Monday.

He was charged under Section 10 of the Sexual Offences Against Children Act 2017, which carries a maximum jail sentence of five years, a fine of up to RM10,000 or both, upon conviction.

For the second charge, he is accused of possessing pornographic videos at the same location and time.

He was charged under Section 292 (a) of the Penal Code, which provides for a jail sentence of up to three years, a fine or both upon conviction.

Deputy public prosecutor R. Lushani urged the court to impose an appropriate sentence as a lesson to the accused.

Koay’s lawyer from the National Legal Aid Foundation requested that his client be fined only as he has to support his wife, children and mother.

“The accused has apologised, repented and promised not to repeat this offence,” he said.

Chia then imposed a RM4,000 fine for the first charge and RM2,000 for the second.

It was reported earlier this week that the police and Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission, working together under Ops Pedo Bersepadu, had arrested several individuals from different socioeconomic backgrounds for possession and distribution of CSAM.

The operation, spearheaded by Bukit Aman’s Sexual, Women and Children Investigation Division, involved a series of coordinated raids in Kuala Lumpur, Selangor, Johor, Terengganu, Penang and Perak.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Easing financial hardships�
Flood situation worsens in northern Sabah as evacuees rise to 4,761
TB outbreak: Johor Ramadan bazaar SOPs unchanged, says exco rep
Bersatu crisis: Raub, Lipis divisions dissolved today
Smooth traffic reported on several main highways as at 9.40pm
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Pahang Sultan, Tengku Ampuan express sadness, sympathy at Trooper Indiran's death
Perak urges use of reusable bags ahead of ban on single-use plastics
Ramadan bazaars: A beloved annual tradition for Malaysians
Bersatu appoints new task force to restructure divisions, wings

Others Also Read