International Criminal Court bars in-person visits for former Philippine president Duterte during hearings – family


Rodrigo Duterte. - Video grab: INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT file

MANILA: The International Criminal Court (ICC) has not allowed any in-person visits for former president Rodrigo Duterte during his confirmation of charges hearing this coming week, his family said on Sunday (Feb 22).

“Please be informed that there are no approved in-person family visits to former President Rodrigo Duterte while the court conducts hearings,” the Duterte family said in a statement.

Duterte has been detained in the ICC since March last year over crimes against humanity charges during his term as president and as Davao City mayor.

The hearing on the confirmation of charges against him will be held on Feb. 23, 24, 26, and 27.

Meanwhile, the Duterte family also revealed the team of Filipino lawyers who will attend during the confirmation of charges hearing.

These lawyers include Duterte’s former executive secretary Salvador Medialdea, his former spokesperson Salvador Panelo, and former labor chief Silvestre Bello III.

Also in Duterte’s team of lawyers are Martin Delgra III, Alfredo Lim Jr. and Caesar Dulay.

The former president requested to skip the confirmation of charges hearing in his case, which the ICC Pre-Trial Chamber I approved, ruling that the proceedings will move forward without his presence.

Earlier, Duterte waived his right to appear—whether in-person or on video—before the ICC as he refused to recognize the jurisdiction of the Hague-based tribunal over him, saying he is “old, tired and frail” and has accepted the likelihood of his dying while in detention.

A complaint against Duterte was filed with the ICC in June 2017.

Duterte declared the Philippines’ withdrawal from the Rome Statute or the treaty which established the ICC, in March 2018.

The withdrawal took effect a year after or in March 2019.

Despite this, the ICC said it retained jurisdiction over alleged crimes in the Philippines — from November 1, 2011, to March 16, 2019 — while the country was still a state party.

On March 12, 2025, Duterte was arrested at Ninoy Aquino International Airport and detained at Villamor Air Base the same day.

At least 6,000 people were killed during the war on drugs under Duterte’s administration, according to official government data. However, human rights watchdogs and the ICC prosecutor estimate the death toll to be between 12,000 and 30,000 from 2016 to 2019. - Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

China's Railways transport 258 million passenger trips since the start of 2026 Spring festival rush
Ringgit likely to trade cautiously at RM3.90 to RM3.93 from Monday (Feb 23) ahead of key US data
Israeli army launches airstrikes and artilerry sheling on Gaza despite the ceasefire
PAS should hold Opposition Leader post, but we have to think about it, says Takiyuddin
In China’s tight economy, a fake exam-takers scheme has touched a nerve
US trade deficit widens sharply in December, testing Trump tariff claims
Gov't to review flood mitigation projects in frequently affected areas in Sabah
Most Thai voters unhappy with EC’s performance, suspect election fraud
New Zealand marks 15th anniversary of Christchurch quake that killed 185
PAS’ Dr Sam named new Perikatan chairman, replacing Muhyiddin

Others Also Read