Jom makan: M'sian breakfast culture gets on Unesco intangible cultural heritage list


KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia’s breakfast culture has been inscribed on Unesco’s Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.

The Tourism, Arts and Culture Ministry said the recognition for "Breakfast Culture in Malaysia: Dining Experience in a Multi-Ethnic Society" was announced during the 19th Session of the Intergovernmental Committee for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage, currently being held in Paraguay until Saturday (Dec 7).

In a statement on Thursday (Dec 5), the ministry said the evaluating body concluded that Malaysia’s breakfast culture met all the criteria outlined in Unesco's 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage.

"The breakfast culture in Malaysia reflects the nation’s diversity, harmony, inclusivity and acceptance among its multi-ethnic society.

"It is an intangible cultural heritage element aligned with Unesco's criteria, thus fostering social connections and showcasing Malaysia’s strength as a multiracial nation.

"This recognition is expected to inspire greater efforts in safeguarding intangible heritage through collaborative initiatives of various quarters including the government, associations and local communities, besides opening up avenues for broader cooperation across various fields,” the statement read.

ALSO READ: Kebaya inscribed in Unesco’s representative list of intangible cultural heritage

The ministry, through the National Heritage Department, submitted the nomination to Unesco on March 30 last year, the first related to food and gastronomy.

The ministry said the recognition underscores its commitment to safeguarding intangible cultural heritage, in line with Core 3 of the National Cultural Policy, which emphasises cultural preservation and conservation.

It credited the achievement to the collective efforts of all stakeholders, including the department, the Malaysian National Commission for Unesco, Malaysia’s Permanent Delegation to Unesco, and the Foreign Ministry.

"This recognition enhances Malaysia’s global credibility as a deserving candidate for a seat on Unesco's Executive Board for the 2025-2029 term,” it added.

Malaysia’s prior recognition under the 2003 Convention for Safeguarding Intangible Cultural Heritage includes Mak Yong theatre in 2005, Dondang Sayang (2018), Silat (2019), Ong Chun/Wangchuan/Wangkang ceremony (joint nomination with China, 2020), Pantun (joint nomination with Indonesia, 2020), Songket (2021) and Mek Mulung (2023).

On Wednesday (Dec 4), the ministry announced that "kebaya" had also been described on the list, a shared achievement of the country with Brunei Darussalam, Indonesia, Singapore and Thailand. – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

AG, Public Prosecutor separation Bill to be re-tabled June 22, says Azalina
PKR can prove Rafizi and Nik Nazmi joined Bersama before vacating seats, says sec-gen
Three South Koreans plead not guilty to kidnapping, demanding nearly RM40mil ransom
Court to decide on Zizie Izette’s graft case on July 20
Job placement for registered refugees to help ease critical workforce issues, says Saifuddin
S'wak to teach Computer Science and Design in English from 2029
Cops submit investigation papers of fatal Petaling Jaya crash to AGC
Smugglers turn to rivers, coastal routes amid tighter controls, cops say
Speaker officially notified of Samsuri's appointment as Opposition Leader
King presents instruments of appointment to 15 envoys

Others Also Read