Senior citizens' driving licence renewal remains unchanged for now, says JPJ


TELUK INTAN: There is currently no decision on whether senior citizens aged 65 and above will need to undergo a competency and health assessment before renewing their driving licences, says Datuk Aedy Fadly Ramli.

The Road Transport Department (JPJ) director-general said, on Monday (Nov 25) that although there are plans to introduce these additional conditions, they remain at the policy stage within the Transport Ministry.

Aedy Fadly further explained that there had been no change to the process of renewing driving licences for senior citizens, which continues to be subject to the conditions set by JPJ.

"It’s not that we don’t have plans for it, but for now, the renewal of driving licences for senior citizens remains as usual. Senior citizens are still allowed to drive vehicles without any additional conditions or tests.

"However, JPJ and the Transport Ministry are examining future plans regarding this issue, based on a study conducted by the ministry,” he said at a press conference after officiating the closing ceremony of the MyLesen 2024 programme here.

This response was prompted by concerns raised about the relevance of requiring senior citizens aged 65 and over to undergo a competency and health assessment to renew their driving licences.

The MyLesen 2024 programme awarded 2,500 motorcycle licences (Class B2) to recipients from the B40 group, while 40 were granted Goods Driving Licences (GDL) for lorries, 30 received Public Service Vehicle (PSV) licences, and 25 secured e-hailing licences.

Aedy Fadly also highlighted that the installation of Automated Enforcement System (AES) cameras at KM265.8 of the North-South Expressway (PLUS) near the Menora Tunnel has significantly reduced the risk of road accidents in the area.

"AES camera enforcement has proven effective, with road users’ compliance with speed limit regulations reaching 99% overall.

"The statistics show that after the cameras were installed in both directions, there were no accidents, and this will continue as long as drivers adhere to the speed limit,” he said. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Perak urges use of reusable bags ahead of ban on single-use plastics
Ramadan bazaars: A beloved annual tradition for Malaysians
Bersatu appoints new task force to restructure divisions, wings
Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha
US tariff ruling lifts market sentiment, positive for M'sian markets, say economists
Amanah looks at contesting 20 seats in Johor polls, subject to talks within PH, says state party chief
Fire razes 10 houses in Kota Belud, families moved to relief centre
DAP members, leaders must respect outcome of special congress, says Chow
Ramanan lauds SJKT Ladang Kinrara's success at international youth STEM event
Man nabbed while trying to steal railway cables between Kempas Baru, Kulai

Others Also Read