Azalina accused of misleading House on pardon


DATUK Seri Azalina Othman Said was accused of misleading the House about the alleged addendum to the pardon case involving Datuk Seri Najib Razak by previously claiming that the issue was under the Home Ministry’s purview.

Citing Standing Order 36 (12), Datuk Seri Takiyuddin Hassan (PN-Kota Baru) said the Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Law and Institutional Reform) told Parliament on Nov 6 that the Attorney General did not report to the minister in charge of law.

Takiyuddin had asked Azalina that day if the alleged addendum to the house arrest for Najib did indeed exist.

“It is public knowledge that a statement on the matter dated Feb 2 was issued by the secretariat of the Federal Territories Pardons Board and Legal Affairs Division of the Prime Minister’s Department (Law and Institutional Reforms). She has misled the house,” Takiyuddin said prior to the ministerial wind-up on the Supply Bill 2025.

Standing Order 36 (12) states that any member who represents statements to mislead the Dewan Rakyat is deemed to be in contempt of the House and may be referred to the committee of privileges for the offence.

Speaker Tan Sri Johari Abdul advised Takiyuddin to write to him over the matter.

Datuk Seri Dr Ronald Kiandee (PN-Beluran) said the standing order cited was serious and urged Johari not to cite Azalina to the Rights and Privileges Committee as it was too severe.

“The Speaker has the authority to summon the minister to provide an explanation in the House. It is a friendlier and shorter process,” added Ronald.

Johari agreed and said he needs to look at the facts of the issue before making a decision.

Last Wednesday, tensions flared when Takiyuddin raised the issue of the alleged addendum. Azalina replied that she was not the minister in charge, and only the Home Minister could answer that issue.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Man slashes another over parking space dispute in Cheras
Azam gives statement on shareholding issue to special probe panel
Sahur turns tragic as fire razes four homes in Kepala Batas
MACC detains T'ganu exco man in abuse of power probe
All four leaders expected to be at Perikatan Supreme Council meet today
SAR op ongoing for missing angler in Pontian
Miri man duped out of RM230,000 in fake investment scheme
Cops nab smash-and-grab suspect who targeted parked cars at MRT stations
Social media user hauled up over X post insulting Terengganu royal family
Domestic Trade Ministry mobilises 2,400 enforcement officers for Ops Pantau 2026

Others Also Read