GISB case: Over 300 rescued children to get formal education next month, says Fadhlina


-filepic

PUTRAJAYA: The Education Ministry will take over the education of more than 300 children previously under Global Ikhwan Services and Business Holdings’ (GISB) care starting Oct 1, said Education Minister Fadhlina Sidek.

She said that the children will be given formal education based on a special module that has been implemented before.

ALSO READ: Counselling for kids rescued from GISB-owned care homes

“We care, and are deeply committed to ensure they receive proper education.

“We are concerned that they may fall behind (in their education) pending the police probe (into GISBH)," she said during the 2024-2030 education strategy plan launch on Monday (Sept 23).

On Sept 11, Bukit Aman Criminal Investigation Department launched an operation codenamed Ops Global, under which 20 GISBH-owned care homes in Selangor and Negri Sembilan were raided.

ALSO READ: Govt pledges to help rescued kids

The operation saw the rescue of 402 children and teenagers comprising 201 boys and 201 girls aged between one and 17 years.

With the operation currently in its fourth phase, the number of those rescued nationwide has risen to over 500.

Meanwhile, she said the ministry views the issue of children being denied access to school seriously, despite the clear requirements set by the Education Act and policy.

“We are taking this matter seriously. The legal team is investigating and if any action is taken, we will inform from time to time,” she added.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
GISB , Education Ministry , children

Next In Nation

JPJ to intensify drone use to detect traffic offences over Aidiladha period
PM Anwar holds phone call with Tamil Nadu chief minister Vijay
Onn Hafiz says he was target of sophisticated 'mercenary spyware' attack
Teacher detained to assist probe into sexual assault of schoolboy in Mersing
Debt collector pleads guilty to sexual assault, wrongful confinement and robbery
GSF 2.0: Released Malaysians safe in Istanbul, expected home on Sunday
Reform task force recommends using local firms to advise govt, digitalise more services�
PAS issues gag order on members over party ties issue
Bersama to contest in Pakatan, BN and Perikatan strongholds, says Nik Nazmi
MACC to appeal Singapore dismissal of RM548mil asset restraining order

Others Also Read