Sinkhole incident: Traders feel the pinch as customers avoid Masjid India area


Clothing shop worker Asmawati,52, pointing towards the sinkhole.

KUALA LUMPUR: Traders near the sinkhole incident are feeling the pinch as business has drastically been affected.

Such a situation could be seen at the Wisma Yakin commercial centre some 10m from the sinkhole location and shops below Malayan Mansion.

Since Saturday (Aug 24) morning, the police have closed off several routes towards the mosque at Jalan Masjid India and in front of the police post at Selangor Mansion flats to limit the movements near the sinkhole.

However, it was business as usual for the area behind Malayan Mansion, where shops were operating with customers.

Shoppers and visitors were busy visiting shops behind Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman.

Contrast in situation at shops below Malayan Mansion where it is business as usual.
Contrast in situation at shops below Malayan Mansion where it is business as usual.

A check by The Star also revealed many passersby were walking behind the police lines set up, curious about the situation, near the sinkhole.

Asmawati,52, who works at a clothing shop some 15m from the sinkhole, said while the shop could still open, no customers have come by as several roads around Jalan Masjid India have been closed.

"People cannot walk in areas near the area so our business has been affected," she said.

She conceded that she was afraid for her safety following the sinkhole incident and hoped the authorities could ensure the area was still safe.

"The same incident happened last year very near to yesterday's (Friday’s (Aug 23) incident," she said.

Asmawati said if the shop, which opens between 10am and 6.30pm daily, closes, then she will lose a source of income.

"I've been working here for about two years.

"Since yesterday's incident, I received a lot of calls from family and friends, asking if I was alright and asking me to be careful," she said.

Trader Rizal Jasni, 64, who has been selling songkok at Wisma Yakin for 44 years, said his business has been affected.

"The area (near the sinkhole) has been closed off to pedestrians.

"Usually I receive a steady number of customers but today (Saturday, Aug 24), there is no one," he said.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Johor declares May 25 a state holiday following JDT's Malaysia Cup win
Queen arrives in Turkiye for three-day special visit
Police hunt two brothers over theft of cash box from budget rice seller
No enforcement on non-Muslim houses of worship pending guideline review
Teenage girl reported missing during hike in Tanjong Malim
Pakatan forms three sub-committees to gear up Penang for GE16
PAS to meet before Aidiladha to deliberate continued Bersatu cooperation
Sabah PKR youth unfazed by exit of two division chiefs
Record number of 347,000 train tickets on sale for holiday period
Bipartisan committee can help expedite MA63 issues, 40% revenue rights, says Bangkuai

Others Also Read