Boys critically ill after eating deadly keropok


ALOR SETAR: Two brothers, aged two and three, are in critical condition after eating keropok (crackers) that are believed to be laced with rat poison in Kampung Padang Ubi, Kulim.

Kulim district police chief Supt Mohd Azizul Mohd Khairi said the mother became aware of it at 11am on Sunday when her children started vomiting and foaming at the mouth.

“The two victims are believed to have taken a packet of crackers containing rat poison that was hung on the garden fence by the gardener to trap monkeys. The mother took them to Malau Health Clinic before going to Hospital Kulim.

“Medical officers at the hospital found that both victims were in a critical condition. At 7.30pm, both victims were taken to the Penang Hospital for further treatment,” he said in a statement, Bernama reported.

The suspect in the case is believed to be the victim’s neighbour, who works as a gardener.

“The case is being investigated under Section 31(1) (a) of the Children’s Act 2001 (Act 611) and Section 284 of the Penal Code,” said Supt Mohd Azizul.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

How to tell your durians apart: The 101 on Musang King and more
Online loan sharks a tough catch
Appointments discussed at Rulers’ meet
Thrilled to leave his mark in China
An installation with a personal touch
Cyberbullying on the rise, say experts
High prices, hot weather dampens durian sales
‘I was also a victim of cyberbullying’
Ex-MARii CEO jailed one year, fined for training contract fraud
End child neglect together

Others Also Read