Perikatan to field Bersatu candidate for Nenggiri by-election, says Muhyiddin


IMG-20240628-WA0071

NIBONG TEBAL: Perikatan Nasional will be represented by a Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (Bersatu) candidate in the Nenggiri state by-election on Aug 17.

Bersatu president Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said this decision had been made earlier as Nenggiri is a Bersatu seat.

"We have already started mobilising our machinery for the initial phase, and other tasks will follow, including identifying the most suitable candidate from Bersatu,” he told reporters after attending a tea session with the community in the Taman Puteri Gunong area in Simpang Ampat on Thursday (June 27).

Also present was Sungai Bakap by-election Perikatan candidate Abidin Ismail.

The Election Commission (EC) has set polling for the Nenggiri by-election for Aug 17, with nominations and early voting scheduled for Aug 3 and Aug 13, respectively.

Prior to this, Kelantan State Assembly Speaker Datuk Mohd Amar Nik Abdullah announced that the state seat would be vacant starting June 19.

The casual vacancy for Nenggiri was announced after the Kelantan State Assembly received a written notice in accordance with Clause (3) of Article 31A of the Kelantan Constitution from Nenggiri state assemblyman Mohd Azizi Abu Naim on June 13.

Regarding the decision of former Jeli MP and Bersatu leader Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed, who in a statement on Thursday (June 27) reaffirmed his decision to quit active politics, Muhyiddin, who is also Perikatan chairman, said the party respects the decision.

Mustapa, in the statement, said he had resigned as a member and from all positions in Bersatu on Sept 30, 2023, and remained firm in his decision to retire from politics after opting not to contest in the 15th general election. — Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Mohd Khafiz latest Malaysian to conquer Mount Everest
King grants audience to Anwar after PM raises possibility of snap polls
Drug gangs busted with seizures worth RM17.8mil in KLIA, Ampang Jaya
Safety code for online takedown of child sexual abuse materials to be in force next month
AG, Public Prosecutor separation Bill to be re-tabled June 22, says Azalina
PKR can prove Rafizi and Nik Nazmi joined Bersama before vacating seats, says sec-gen
Three South Koreans plead not guilty to kidnapping, demanding nearly RM40mil ransom
Court to decide on Zizie Izette’s graft case on July 20
Job placement for registered refugees to help ease critical workforce issues, says Saifuddin
S'wak to teach Computer Science and Design in English from 2029

Others Also Read