BN mulls fielding candidate for Nenggiri if polls held, says Zahid


PUTRAJAYA: Barisan Nasional may want to field a candidate should a by-election be held for the Nenggiri state seat in Kelantan, says its chairman Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.

Ahmad Zahid, who is Deputy Prime Minister, pointed out that the Barisan candidate had only lost by a margin of 800-odd votes in the state polls.

“We are the underdog there, but we will still prepare for any eventuality of a by-election,” he said on Friday (June 21).

In the state polls held in August last year, Bersatu candidate Mohd Azizi Abu Naim had won the Nenggiri seat under the PAS ticket, defeating Barisan’s Ab Aziz Yusoff with a 810-majority.

Ahmad Zahid said while Barisan respects the decision made by the Kelantan Legislative Assembly Speaker to declare the seat vacant, the ruling to be made by the court on the status of the Nenggiri seat must also be respected.

ALSO READ: All eyes on Nenggiri

“There are different views and opinions cited by political analysts and legal practitioners on the matter. Our stand is for the court to make a decision,” he added.

On June 19, Kelantan state assembly Speaker Datuk Mohd Nik Amar Nik Abdullah had declared that the Nenggiri state seat was vacant with immediate effect.

The seat was held by rogue Bersatu assemblyman Mohd Azizi.

Mohd Azizi had said that he would take the matter to court, claiming that the Speaker was hasty in vacating his seat.

ALSO READ: EC to meet on June 28 over Nenggiri by-election

The Bersatu rogue said the Speaker had announced the vacancy without replying to a question whether Bersatu representatives in Kelantan come under the purview of PAS.

Mohd Azizi, who is Gua Musang MP, had earlier in the month lost his membership in Bersatu, an Opposition party for failing to respond to an official letter requiring him to pledge his loyalty to the party by May 31.

Mohd Azizi, along with five other Bersatu MPs and a Selangor state lawmaker, had over the past year defied their party and declared support for leaders in the unity government, including Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Bukit Aman to investigate those linked to discovery of prohibited items at Ipoh HQ lock-up
Police step up traffic management as Aidiladha exodus builds up in Gua Musang
MetMalaysia warns of thunderstorms in nine states until 7pm (May 24)
Raya exodus commences; traffic building up on several major expressways
Anwar scheduled to open two-day Sabah Kaamatan festival
WCE Section 3 targets year-end completion, to open in 2027
Govt expands AI development to rural areas to improve tech literacy
Removing numbers from counters has curtailed illegal entry syndicates, says Johor Immigration
46,542 commuting accidents recorded in 2025, says PERKESO
Man nabbed after failed snatch theft attempt in hospital parking lot

Others Also Read