Two military men claim trial for hiding evidence in fatal accident


TAWAU: Two military personnel members pleaded not guilty at the Magistrate's Court here to causing the disappearance of evidence related to a fatal accident case in Tawau last year.

The accused, Lieutenant Colonel Werar Suleiman Ali, 55, and Corporal Muhammad Hafizuddin Ripin, 29, entered their pleas when the charge was read out to them before Magistrate Don Stiwin Malanjum on Wednesday (June 26).

They were jointly charged with wilfully hiding evidence relevant to a legal proceeding, namely a motorcycle, at the Shell Gas Station near Batu 3, Jalan Apas here on January 30, 2023.

They were charged under Section 201 of the Penal Code read together with Section 34 of the same code, which provides imprisonment of up to three years and a fine, upon conviction.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Hurman Hussain and police officer Asst Supt Joan Lee conducted the prosecution, while the accused were represented by lawyers Abdul Ghani Zelika and Vivian Thien.

The court allowed both accused bail at RM3,500 each, with two local sureties and set July 31 for next mention.- Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

US tariff ruling lifts market sentiment, positive for M'sian markets, say economists
Amanah looks at contesting 20 seats in Johor polls, subject to talks within PH, says state party chief
Fire razes 10 houses in Kota Belud, families moved to relief centre
DAP members, leaders must respect outcome of special congress, says Chow
Ramanan lauds SJKT Ladang Kinrara's success at international youth STEM event
Man nabbed while trying to steal railway cables between Kempas Baru, Kulai
Tengku Panglima Perang Pahang visits family of late Trooper Indiran
Govt has improved Armed Forces procurement procedures, says Defence Minister
Beware fake MACC article on scam site posing as The Star
Sabah flood evacuees increase to 4,652 in northern districts

Others Also Read