Sabah police to wrap up water protest probe soon


ACP Kasim speaking to one of the protestors during the demonstration on Friday (June 14).

KOTA KINABALU: Police will summon the organisers of a recent demonstration over water supply issues in the state to complete investigations over the protest.

Kota Kinabalu OCPD Asst Comm Kasim Muda said the #KamiMahuAir demonstration, spearheaded by students from Universiti Malaysia Sabah (UMS) was being investigated under Section 9(1) of the Peaceful Assembly Act 2012.

He said no one had been arrested in connection with the protest to date.

"The investigation papers will be completed in a day or two after we call in the organisers," he said after the launch of an all-woman motorcycle patrol unit here on Sunday (June 16).

ACP Kasim also said the nine people detained in Friday's (June 14) protest in front of Menara Kinabalu were still under remand.

He said one of those detained is a teacher who has been remanded until June 17 for investigations under Section 55B of the Immigration Act for transporting individuals with proper identification documents.

The remaining eight detainees were remanded for 14 days for investigations under Section 6(1)(c) of the Immigration Act for not having valid personal documents.

The student group coordinator for the demonstration, Mohd Norhamdin Nordin, had said on Saturday (June 15) that the nine detained comprised a teacher and nine students of an alternative school in Teluk Layang here who are stateless.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Police , Investigation , Questioning , UMS , Water Protest

Next In Nation

JPJ to intensify drone use to detect traffic offences over Aidiladha period
PM Anwar holds phone call with Tamil Nadu chief minister Vijay
Onn Hafiz says he was target of sophisticated 'mercenary spyware' attack
Teacher detained to assist probe into sexual assault of schoolboy in Mersing
Debt collector pleads guilty to sexual assault, wrongful confinement and robbery
GSF 2.0: Released Malaysians safe in Istanbul, expected home on Sunday
Reform task force recommends using local firms to advise govt, digitalise more services�
PAS issues gag order on members over party ties issue
Bersama to contest in Pakatan, BN and Perikatan strongholds, says Nik Nazmi
MACC to appeal Singapore dismissal of RM548mil asset restraining order

Others Also Read