Police widening scope of investigation on Faisal’s acid attack, says CID chief


KUALA LUMPUR: Bukit Aman has not been able to establish the motive behind national footballer Faisal Halim's acid splashing attack.

Bukit Aman CID director Comm Datuk Seri Mohd Shuhaily Mohd Zain said the police are working hard in investigating the case as well as to identify and catch the culprit.

"We are looking at a wider scope in terms of the investigation.

"We have recorded the statements of several individuals at the Football Association of Malaysia (FAM).

"So far we have not established the motive behind all three of the attacks on the footballers, including on Faisal," he told a press conference at Bukit Aman on Friday (June 14).

On Faisal's case, Comm Mohd Shuhaily said police have collected several fingerprints from the mall where the attack occurred and issued a photofit of the suspect.

"We are still gathering actionable intelligence on the case.

"The case is complicated given the lack of public witnesses.

"It is a challenge and we will never stop until justice is served," he said.

On claims that police have not been updating Faisal on the case consistently, Comm Mohd Shuhaily said he will check with Selangor police on the matter.

"In terms of results of the investigation, there is nothing much to update.

"Nonetheless, we will meet with Faisal soon," he said.

It was reported that national winger Faisal, who is also known as Mickey, suffered an acid attack on May 5 at a shopping mall in Damansara.

Police received information from the public at 5.51pm that a national footballer was splashed with liquid believed to be acid when he was at a shopping mall in Kota Damansara.

The reason behind the attack is also uncertain.

Just days prior to the attack, his Harimau Malaya teammate Akhyar Rashid was robbed in Kuala Terengganu and suffered cuts and bruises.

On the night of May 7, former national captain Safiq Rahim escaped unhurt after two men broke his rear windscreen in Johor Baru.

The 36-year-old, who plays for Super League champions Johor Darul Ta’zim (JDT) revealed the incident on his social media account by posting a police report.

Police have since released a photofit of the suspect on May 19.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

Man drowned in Kudat while spearfishing
PM calls on Malaysians to pray for national contingent's success at the Olympics
Cops identify body found floating in Sungai Jerteh
‘Troika mechanism ongoing in support to resolve problems in Myanmar: Mat Hasan
Two students drown at Dungun waterfall
MetMalaysia issues Level 1 hot weather alert for four areas
Cops seek help finding missing 17-year-old girl
Babysitter remanded after two-month-old baby sustains broken thigh
Malaysia Airlines cancels flight MH366 and MH367 due to Typhoon Gaemi in Taiwan
Kelantan bans entertainment, loud noise on Thursday evenings

Others Also Read