No more Mr Nice Guy, says Faisal


Selangor FC Press conference on Faisal Halim at Selangor FC Training Centre, Shah Alam. — FAIHAN GHANI/The Star

PETALING JAYA: He has always been everybody’s friend, a player who was always in high spirits and never disrespected anyone.

That is why national footballer Faisal Halim is stumped as to why he was the target of such a horrific acid attack.

He had been going about his own business – shopping at a mall – when two men suddenly threw acid at him, leaving him badly scarred.

“Everyone knows my character; I have never been arrogant with anyone, regardless of who they are,” said Faisal yesterday.

“I greet everyone with a smile, and I try to be happy always. Perhaps now I need to change my ways and stop being so friendly. Maybe I’ve been too good to people.

ALSO READ: Emotional Faisal says he came close to quitting football

“Whatever it is, I just want to be healthy and play football,” he told a press conference where he made his first appearance since the acid attack on May 5.

Selangor Football Association deputy president Datuk Seri Shahril Mokhtar, who was also present, said Faisal’s welfare would be taken care of, regardless of how long his recovery took.

“As employers, it’s the right thing to do. We have to make sure Faisal and his family are safe and taken care of. I’m confident that, with his spirit and determination, Faisal will return to football,” Faisal said.

ALSO READ: Faisal tells about pain of not being able to hug four-year-old son

Since the attack, he and his family have been given added security protection, and Shahril said armed guards will remain by Faisal’s side.

“We will continue the protection for Faisal and his family until we feel the time is right,” he said.

As for the investigations into the attack, Selangor’s newly-appointed lawyer Mohd Haijan Omar said they would be reaching out to the police for an update.

“Section 107A of the Criminal Procedure Code provides that the complainant be updated on the progress of the case.

“The case has been going on for over a month now, and we are entitled to an update after four weeks.

“We will be writing officially to the police, and the authorities will have two weeks to get back to us,” he said.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

Malaysia-Iran cooperation will not be influenced by foreign parties, says PM
Man escapes gallows for murdering friend's teen daughter, sentenced to 40 years
28 students discharged after food poisoning incident at George Town school
MPs required to undergo health screening by Nov 11
Two die in in accident caused by heart attack in Sepang
Medical fraternity lauds 'historic' amendments to Medical Act
Wan Ahmad Fayshal could face six-month suspension from Dewan Rakyat
Man speaks of months-long ordeal after contacting illegal moneylenders
Man stabs housemate, breaks hip while escaping in Petaling Jaya
Premium salaries for TVET grads among proposals finalised, says Zahid

Others Also Read