New lawyer appointed to represent Zayn Rayyan's parents


PETALING JAYA: The family of murdered six-year-old Zayn Rayyan Abdul Matiin has appointed a new lawyer to represent his parents, who are currently in police remand.

Lawyer Fahmi Moin confirmed that he has been retained since Monday (June 3).

"I was officially appointed yesterday and I will be representing the client at the end of the remand proceeding this Friday (June 7)," Fahmi said when contacted by The Star on Tuesday (June 4).

Earlier, the previous lawyer representing Zayn Rayyan's parents withdrew from the case due to unspecified reasons.

ALSO READ: Lawyer representing Zayn Rayyan's parents withdraws from case

This comes after the couple was remanded for seven days from Saturday (June 1) to assist the police investigation under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder.

Zayn Rayyan's parents had been arrested at Puncak Alam at about 11am on Friday (May 31).

On Dec 5, Zayn Rayyan was reported missing in Damansara Damai and his body was later found near a stream about 200m from his home at the Idaman Apartment.

A post-mortem revealed injuries to his neck and body, leading to the conclusion that he had been killed.

ALSO READ: Zayn Rayyan murder: Extension of parents' remand depends on probe results, says Selangor top cop

During the investigation, police forensic teams combed the location where the body was found as well as the surrounding areas in Damansara Damai.

A mass DNA screening was also conducted, and 228 samples were collected.

Witnesses, including those who claimed to have last seen the autistic child alive, were also brought to the scene to assist investigators.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

JPJ to intensify drone use to detect traffic offences over Aidiladha period
PM Anwar holds phone call with Tamil Nadu chief minister Vijay
Onn Hafiz says he was target of sophisticated 'mercenary spyware' attack
Teacher detained to assist probe into sexual assault of schoolboy in Mersing
Debt collector pleads guilty to sexual assault, wrongful confinement and robbery
GSF 2.0: Released Malaysians safe in Istanbul, expected home on Sunday
Reform task force recommends using local firms to advise govt, digitalise more services�
PAS issues gag order on members over party ties issue
Bersama to contest in Pakatan, BN and Perikatan strongholds, says Nik Nazmi
MACC to appeal Singapore dismissal of RM548mil asset restraining order

Others Also Read