Borneo Cultures Museum attracts over a million visitors since opening in 2022


The Borneo Cultures Museum has attracted more than one million visitors since 2022. - ZULAZHAR SHEBLEE/The Star

KUCHING: The Borneo Cultures Museum here has received over one million visitors since opening two years ago, says Datuk Seri Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah.

The state Tourism, Creative Industry and Performing Arts Minister said the museum welcomed its one-millionth visitor on April 21, which he described as an amazing achievement.

"To date, the museum has accumulated a total of 1,007,716 visitors from 155 countries. This indicates that the museum remains a prominent attraction for museum-goers, locally and globally," he told the Sarawak Legislative Assembly during his winding-up speech on Tuesday (May 14).

Last month, a nine-year-old girl from Kuching became the one-millionth visitor when she came to the museum with her family.

Abdul Karim said the museum's visitors included dignitaries and royal figures, such as the Regent of Pahang Tengku Hassanal Ibrahim Alam Shah Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah on Jan 16.

He said the museum also welcomed students from schools and higher institutions, including those from outside Kuching such as SK Sungai Passin in Daro, SK Batu Luking in Kanowit, SK Ulu Pedanum in Bintangor, SK Nanga Semawang in Julau and SK Nanga Bawai in Kapit.

"Since January this year, the museum has benefited 14,755 students," he said.

In addition, Abdul Karim said the Sarawak Museum Department launched e-ticketing for public admission to the museum last December in line with the state government's digital initiatives.

"This online platform enables visitors to conveniently explore available museums and purchase tickets securely from anywhere," he said.

Abdul Karim also said the Limbang Museum was opened to the public on Dec 4 last year.

He said it featured two galleries highlighting the history of Limbang from the Brooke era to the present.

"It has attracted 737 visitors since opening," he added.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Prioritise welfare of police personnel, says Dr Wan Azizah
Traffic slows on major expressways as at noon
Building tech ecosystem to help Perak SMEs compete
Woman who stabbed mother remanded seven days
Rafizi to proceed with lawsuit against Caprice over alleged defamation
Body of drowned Chinese national found
All govt agencies mobilised to assist flood victims in Sabah, says Zahid
Three more suspended in HRD Corp governance reset
Penang's esplanade seawall, promenade project wins Unesco heritage award
DAP’s pledge to back unity govt key to stability, says Fuziah

Others Also Read