Measures proposed in special meeting to prevent paragliding accidents in Sabah


KOTA KINABALU: Several measures have been proposed to ensure paragliding activities would be more safer in Sabah following an incident involving a Chinese tourist who suffered injuries in the extreme sport last month.

Among these steps is for the operations of companies involved in accidents of tourists to be suspended for at least 14 days.

"This is to enable the space for the authorities to investigate the incidents," said state Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Datuk Christina Liew in a statement.

"The local authority must also monitor that activities that involve tourists are carried out according to the enforced rules. The Ministry views the safety of tourists in Sabah seriously," she added.

These measures were recommended in a special meeting initiated by the state tourism ministry on Wednesday (May 8).

It involved other ministries and departments such as the state Local Government and Housing Ministry, state Youth and Sports Ministry, federal Tourism, Arts and Culture Ministry, State Attorney-General's Chambers, police, Sabah Tourism Board, Ranau District Office and Sabah Paragliding Association (PLUS).

A 64-year-old Chinese tourist was reported to have been hurt in a paragliding activity in Lohan, Ranau on April 22.

Liew said PLUS was also urged to hold discussions with the Malaysian Sport Aviation Federation (MSAF) in order to refine the guidelines for paragliding activities in Sabah.

Among the factors to be considered, she added, were the competency levels of the paragliding guides, equipment, take off and landing locations, weather and readiness of safety facilities in the vicinity.

"Any standard operating procedure (SOP) for paragliding must be approved by the authorities.

"The meeting was also informed that there would be several events that involved paragliding activities such as the Sonsoluyon Paragliding Accuracy Championship which is scheduled for May 25 and 26.

"Hence, the meeting suggested for the Ranau district council and offide to reconsider the implementation of these events," Liew said.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Paragliding , Guidelines , Tourist , Chinese , Accident

Next In Nation

Tengku Panglima Perang Pahang visits family of late Trooper Indiran
Govt has improved Armed Forces procurement procedures, says Defence Minister
Beware fake MACC article on scam site posing as The Star
Sabah flood evacuees increase to 4,652 in northern districts
No elements of abuse, bullying found in Trooper Indiran's death, says Khaled
Ex-Bersatu members welcome to join Umno, says Khaled
70-year-old woman swindled out of jewellery in 'pukau' scam
TB outbreak: Mask up at crowded places like Ramadan bazaars, public urged
Public inspection for LRT Mutiara Line extension linking Penang Island, Seberang Perai
12 police personnel suspended over cryptocurrency theft

Others Also Read