Family of man killed in tree-falling incident to get Socso benefits, says Sim


SHAH ALAM: The family of the man who died in a tree-falling incident on Jalan Sultan Ismail, Kuala Lumpur, on May 7 are eligible to receive benefits from the Social Security Organisation (Socso).

Human Resources Minister Steven Sim Chee Keong said checks by the Socso Caring Squad confirmed that the victim, Md Rizal Atan, 47, had been a contributor under the Employees' Social Security Act 1969 (Act 4) since Jan 1, 1995.

Sim said that Norpahidah Mat Zaman, the widow of the deceased, would receive a Dependent's Benefit amounting to RM3,400 for the rest of her life.

His four children, aged between three and 18, would receive benefits until 21 if unmarried, which can be extended if they continue their studies to the first-degree level.

"As he was a contributor, his family heirs are entitled to receive a one-time Funeral Benefit of RM2,000 paid by Perkeso under the Employment Disaster Scheme under Act 4," he said in a statement here on Friday (May 10).

Sim said the employer's awareness of contributing to the scheme for employees has eased the burden on the family during this difficult time.

Md Rizal, a driver since 2018, was killed after his vehicle was crushed by a falling tree. – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Smooth traffic reported on several main highways as at 9.40pm
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Pahang Sultan, Tengku Ampuan express sadness, sympathy at Trooper Indiran's death
Perak urges use of reusable bags ahead of ban on single-use plastics
Ramadan bazaars: A beloved annual tradition for Malaysians
Bersatu appoints new task force to restructure divisions, wings
Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha
US tariff ruling lifts market sentiment, positive for M'sian markets, say economists
Amanah looks at contesting 20 seats in Johor polls, subject to talks within PH, says state party chief
Fire razes 10 houses in Kota Belud, families moved to relief centre

Others Also Read