KLIA gunman in police custody

PETALING JAYA: After a nationwide manhunt that lasted almost two days, the man who fired a gun in the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) on Sunday in an attempt to kill his wife was finally arrested in Kota Baru.

Having evaded the authorities for more than 24 hours, 38-year-old Hafizul Harawi was apprehended by Kelantan police yesterday at 3pm after fleeing KLIA following the incident which took place early Sunday morning.

When contacted yesterday Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Razarudin Husain confirmed the arrest.

“The suspect was caught in Kota Baru at 3pm today,” he said briefly to The Star.

According to Sinar Harian, Hafizul was arrested in front of a private hospital on Jalan Bayam.

Giving the rundown: Comm Mohd Shuhaily (centre) speaking with reporters at the Kelantan Contingent Police Headquarters in Kota Baru. — BernamaGiving the rundown: Comm Mohd Shuhaily (centre) speaking with reporters at the Kelantan Contingent Police Headquarters in Kota Baru. — Bernama

A scuffle ensued during the arrest and a firearm was found afterwards.

The arrest was made by the Kelantan police Criminal Investigation Department (CID).

Previously, the police had distributed photos of the suspect at all entry points in the north of the peninsula. Photos were also shared among their counterparts in a neighbouring country.

The police also tightened control of the “rat lanes”, ie illegal entries and exits, at Malaysia’s borders in their hunt.


When queried by the media yesterday at the Kelantan police contingent headquarters, Bukit Aman CID director Comm Datuk Seri Mohd Shuhaily Mohd Zain said that a press conference on the arrest will be held today at 9am.

He told reporters that the remand will also be done today.

“After the remand has been obtained, then we shall do the press conference,” he said, adding that the suspect was being processed following his arrest yesterday.

On Sunday, pandemonium and panic struck KLIA’s Terminal 1 after gunshots were heard in the arrival hall.

At 1.20am, travel agency owner Farah Md Isa, better known as Farah Cie, was awaiting the return of clients who had used her services to perform umrah.

A firecracker was then thrown in her direction, injuring two members of the public nearby.

Two shots were then fired at Farah Cie at close range; one bullet missed its mark and the other hit her bodyguard who had protected her from the gunfire, sustaining wound to his stomach.

The shooter then fled to his car at Block C of the airport’s carpark.

Police later revealed the shooter’s identity as Farah Cie’s estranged husband Hafizul, who is also a partner in her business.

The couple was reportedly in the midst of a divorce.

The aftermath of the attack was caught on camera, with a video showing an injured man being wheeled out on a stretcher.

Another video was shot by a person hiding behind a pillar with a woman’s voice saying off camera that, “Semua orang takut, ada pistol (Everybody is scared, there’s a gun)”.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

PDRM , KLIA , violence , shooting , police , arrest , Kota Baru


Next In Nation

FSO technology can solve Internet access issues in challenging areas, says Fahmi
Anwar witnesses six MOU exchanges between Malaysia, Uzbekistan
Approved rural projects in S'wak that have not been implemented will be looked into, says Zahid
Kelantanese women avoid cancer screening for fear of losing husbands, burdening family
Ulu Tiram attack: Suspect not JI member, initial link made due to father's past, says IGP
Ulu Tiram attack: Slain hero Konstabel Ahmad Azza Fahmi laid to rest
Motorist abandons car, dives into monsoon drain to avoid mob after accident
Melaka Immigration Department busts illegal bird's nest factory in late-night raid
Ulu Tiram attack: 'Wait for me to come back', Konstabel Fahmi's last words to his friends
Ulu Tiram attack: National hero Konstabel Muhamad Syafiq laid to rest

Others Also Read