KLIA gunman in police custody


PETALING JAYA: After a nationwide manhunt that lasted almost two days, the man who fired a gun in the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) on Sunday in an attempt to kill his wife was finally arrested in Kota Baru.

Having evaded the authorities for more than 24 hours, 38-year-old Hafizul Harawi was apprehended by Kelantan police yesterday at 3pm after fleeing KLIA following the incident which took place early Sunday morning.

When contacted yesterday Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Razarudin Husain confirmed the arrest.

“The suspect was caught in Kota Baru at 3pm today,” he said briefly to The Star.

According to Sinar Harian, Hafizul was arrested in front of a private hospital on Jalan Bayam.

Giving the rundown: Comm Mohd Shuhaily (centre) speaking with reporters at the Kelantan Contingent Police Headquarters in Kota Baru. — Bernama
Giving the rundown: Comm Mohd Shuhaily (centre) speaking with reporters at the Kelantan Contingent Police Headquarters in Kota Baru. — Bernama

A scuffle ensued during the arrest and a firearm was found afterwards.

The arrest was made by the Kelantan police Criminal Investigation Department (CID).

Previously, the police had distributed photos of the suspect at all entry points in the north of the peninsula. Photos were also shared among their counterparts in a neighbouring country.

The police also tightened control of the “rat lanes”, ie illegal entries and exits, at Malaysia’s borders in their hunt.

Hafizul.
Hafizul.

When queried by the media yesterday at the Kelantan police contingent headquarters, Bukit Aman CID director Comm Datuk Seri Mohd Shuhaily Mohd Zain said that a press conference on the arrest will be held today at 9am.

He told reporters that the remand will also be done today.

“After the remand has been obtained, then we shall do the press conference,” he said, adding that the suspect was being processed following his arrest yesterday.

On Sunday, pandemonium and panic struck KLIA’s Terminal 1 after gunshots were heard in the arrival hall.

At 1.20am, travel agency owner Farah Md Isa, better known as Farah Cie, was awaiting the return of clients who had used her services to perform umrah.

A firecracker was then thrown in her direction, injuring two members of the public nearby.

Two shots were then fired at Farah Cie at close range; one bullet missed its mark and the other hit her bodyguard who had protected her from the gunfire, sustaining wound to his stomach.

The shooter then fled to his car at Block C of the airport’s carpark.

Police later revealed the shooter’s identity as Farah Cie’s estranged husband Hafizul, who is also a partner in her business.

The couple was reportedly in the midst of a divorce.

The aftermath of the attack was caught on camera, with a video showing an injured man being wheeled out on a stretcher.

Another video was shot by a person hiding behind a pillar with a woman’s voice saying off camera that, “Semua orang takut, ada pistol (Everybody is scared, there’s a gun)”.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
PDRM , KLIA , violence , shooting , police , arrest , Kota Baru

Next In Nation

School reopening in Paitan, Sabah delayed after worst ever flood destroys classrooms
Sarawak fully recovers from floods
Two recycling premises suspected in Sungai Kabul odour pollution
PAS should hold Opposition Leader post, but we have to think about it, says Takiyuddin
Dr Sam has proven his ability to lead PN, says PAS sec-gen
Thunderstorms, heavy rain expected in eight states, KL and Putrajaya until 8pm
Gov't to review flood mitigation projects in frequently affected areas in Sabah
GOF nabs four in two weapons, drugs raids worth RM43,740
PAS’ Dr Sam named new Perikatan chairman, replacing Muhyiddin
PAS info chief questions timing of Terengganu exco man's arrest

Others Also Read