Former SRC director tells court he is barred from overseas travel but was never arrested


KUALA LUMPUR: Former SRC International Sdn Bhd director Datuk Shahrol Azral Ibrahim Halmi has told the High Court here that he was not arrested over the company's transactions but is barred from travelling overseas.

Shahrol Azral, 54, who is testifying as a third party in the SRC International's US$1.18bil civil suit against Datuk Seri Najib Razak and its former chief executive officer Nik Faisal Ariff Kamil, said his passport was never impounded by the Immigration Department.

"I checked with the Immigration ... only then I saw my travel restrictions. I have never been arrested. "The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission took my statements in 2015 but I was not detained," he said when queried by the former premier's counsel Harvinderjit Singh.

Previously, in the 1Malaysia Development Berhad trial before Judge Datuk Collin Lawrence Sequerah, Shahrol Azral testified that overseas travel restrictions were only placed on him from July 2018 until early 2020.

Meanwhile, in his witness statement, Shahrol Azral made it clear that he was never charged with any offence pertaining to the loss and damage suffered by SRC International in respect of the misappropriation of the RM4bil fund from the Retirement Fund Inc (KWAP) Loan.

Under new management, SRC filed the legal action in May 2021, alleging that Najib had committed breach of trust, abuse of power, misappropriated the company's funds, and personally benefited from it.

It named Najib along with its former directors – Datuk Suboh Md Yassin, Mohammed Azhar, Nik Faisal, Datuk Che Abdullah @ Rashidi Che Omar, Datuk Shahrol Azral Ibrahim Halmi and Tan Sri Ismee Ismail – in May 2021.

However, later, it removed six names from the suit and retained Najib and Nik Faisal as the first and second defendants.

Additionally, Najib has brought the former SRC directors as third-party respondents in the suit.

Najib was SRC's emeritus adviser from May 1, 2012, until March 4, 2019.

The company is seeking damages, interests, costs and a court declaration that Najib is responsible for the company's losses due to his breach of duties and trust.

It is demanding that Najib pay back the US$1.18bil in losses suffered.

It is also seeking US$120mil and US$2mil from Najib and Nik Faisal respectively, on account of fraudulent breach of fiduciary duties and breach of trust.

Najib has been serving a jail sentence at Kajang Prison since Aug 23, 2022, after being convicted of misappropriating RM42mil in SRC funds.

After he filed a petition for a royal pardon on Sept 2, 2022, his jail term was reduced from 12 years to six years, and the fine was reduced to RM50mil from RM210mil.

The trial before Judge Datuk Ahmad Fairuz Zainol Abidin continues on Wednesday. – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

Malaysia, Uzbekistan to explore cooperation in petrochemicals
JPJ may go undercover to catch vehicle owners renting cars to foreigners without driving licence
Using agricultural land for retirement plan and agrotourism hotspot
INTERACTIVE: Malaysians are snapping up agricultural land – here’s why
Authorities crack down on visa misuse for haj
Turtles face floating plastic threat
Retired pharmacist spreads joy through the art of clowning
Sanusi’s sedition trial to go on after bid rejected
‘Don’t neglect cash users’
66.7kg of Johor mee goreng sets world record

Others Also Read