Two key witnesses in corruption case of former political secretary fined


KUALA LUMPUR: Two key prosecution witnesses in the corruption case involving a former political secretary to Datuk Seri Mohamad Sabu were each fined RM15,000 by the Sessions Court here for giving contradictory statements when testifying during the trial of the case.

Judge Azura Alwi meted out the fine on Zainudin Abdul Majid, 53, and Ahmad Hisham Mohd Tajuddin, 54, after they changed their plea to guilty.

Both paid the fine.

Zainudin was charged with two counts of giving statements that were inconsistent with the statements he gave to Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) senior assistant superintendent Shamsudin Md Noh on Nov 4, 2022, during the corruption trial of Mohd Azhar Che Mat Dali.

He was charged with committing the offence when testifying in the corruption case before the Criminal Sessions Court Judge 8, Kuala Lumpur Court Complex, on April 7, 2023.

Ahmad Hisham was charged with committing a similar offence when testifying during a similar trial on May 9 last year 2023, and his testimony was inconsistent with the statement he gave to the MACC at the MACC Headquarters in Putrajaya on Nov 2, 2022.

The charges against both men were framed under Section 27(2) of the MACC Act 2009, which provides a fine of up to RM100,000 or a maximum of 10 years in prison or both if convicted.

During mitigation, lawyer Wan Shahrizal Wan Ladin, representing both accused, said his clients have a family to support.

"Zainudin, who is currently working as a caretaker at a gas station and earning RM2,500 a month, supports two children and a sick mother, while Hisham, who is a company director, is asking for a low fine because part of his company's fund has been forfeited to the MACC and also supports three children and a sick mother," said the lawyer.

Deputy public prosecutors Muhammad Asraf Mohamed Tahir and Farah Yasmin Salleh prosecuted.

On Jan 12, the Sessions Court acquitted and discharged Mohd Azhar, 53, of seven charges of accepting and soliciting bribes amounting to RM6.48 million from a contractor to help secure a government. – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Bersatu appoints new task force to restructure divisions, wings
Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha
US tariff ruling lifts market sentiment, positive for M'sian markets, say economists
Amanah looks at contesting 20 seats in Johor polls, subject to talks within PH, says state party chief
Fire razes 10 houses in Kota Belud, families moved to relief centre
DAP members, leaders must respect outcome of special congress, says Chow
Ramanan lauds SJKT Ladang Kinrara's success at international youth STEM event
Man nabbed while trying to steal railway cables between Kempas Baru, Kulai
Tengku Panglima Perang Pahang visits family of late Trooper Indiran
Govt has improved Armed Forces procurement procedures, says Defence Minister

Others Also Read