Malaysia was never offered to host Taylor Swift concert, says deputy minister


KUALA LUMPUR: Claims that the government had failed to secure Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour despite having already made contact in 2022 are untrue, says Adam Adli.

The Deputy Youth and Sports Minister said the concert was never offered to Malaysia, adding that organising concerts were also not under the purview of the ministry.

"Recent reports on the matter are not accurate. The concert in question was never offered to the Malaysian government under a joint contract with Sportswork Group Sdn Bhd and US-based company ASM Global.

"The contract signed in early 2023 was only to support overall venue management," he said in Parliament on Thursday (March 7).

The deputy minister was responding to a supplementary question by Chong Zhemin (PH-Kampar) who asked for the ministry’s response to claims that Malaysia failed to seize the opportunity to host A-list celebrities.

Previously, it was reported that Malaysia had the chance to host Taylor Swift in 2022 but lost the chance to Singapore.

Bersatu legal and constitution bureau deputy chairman Sasha Lyna Abdul Latiff later called for the unity government to answer for Malaysia's failure to secure Swift's highly anticipated Eras Tour in the country.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

Do you know... about the Nation searches for answers?
Victims’ families to get psychological support
The nation mourns, say leaders
‘Maybe God loves Joanna more’
Joyous celebration for Hindus in Teluk Intan
Use 5G to boost development, Raja of Perlis tells state govt
TVET urged for pondok schools
Transport firms urged to apply for fleet card
HIGH STANDARDS FOR SEEK PEOPLE & PURPOSE AWARDS
Investigation board to be set up

Others Also Read