MACC to file CBT charges


Muhyiddin’s son-in-law not in Malaysia, says anti-graft chief

KUALA LUMPUR: The son-in-law of former prime minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin is set to face several criminal breach of trust (CBT) charges once he returns from abroad, says Tan Sri Azam Baki.

The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) chief commissioner said the probe into Datuk Seri Muhammad Adlan Berhan had been fully completed and it is ready to charge him in court.

“The charges cannot proceed at the moment as the man has neither been located nor returned to the country.

“We have already prepared some charges against him and if I am not mistaken, they are related to CBT,” Azam said after attending the 10th Certified Integrity Officers (CeIO) convocation ceremony at World Trade Centre Kuala Lumpur yesterday.

On Aug 9, Muhammad Adlan had denied that he was trying to evade authorities.

His lawyer Datuk Dr Baljit Singh Sidhu had said that his client categorically rejected that he was “a fugitive on the run”.

Baljit said Muhammad Adlan left Malaysia legally and likened the previous MACC statement as an attempt to discredit and humiliate his client.

Where is he?: Investigation into Muhammad Adlan  has been completed, however charges cannot proceed as he cannot be located nor has he returned to the country, says the MACC chief.Where is he?: Investigation into Muhammad Adlan has been completed, however charges cannot proceed as he cannot be located nor has he returned to the country, says the MACC chief.

It was also reported that police were still waiting for a response on the Red Notice application filed against Muhyiddin’s son-in-law at the Interpol headquarters in Lyon, France.

“The only thing is that he could not be located. He has yet to return to the country,” said Azam.

On a separate matter, he said the MACC would not rule out summoning more people, including a former prime minister, to facilitate the probe linked to Spanco Sdn Bhd.

He explained that the investigation into Spanco was still ongoing, with a focus on contracts signed between 2020 and 2021.

“The case on Spanco is related to the period between 2020 and 2021.

“And the finance minister at the time has also been summoned to have his statement recorded to assist in investigations. We have yet to summon the (former) prime minister.

“I will leave it to my investigating officer to see if it is necessary to call up the person for the investigation into the case,” he said.

However, Azam did not reveal the details and identity of the former finance minister who had his statement recorded and the said former prime minister.

“Investigation into the case is still on-going. We have yet to release the accounts frozen related to our investigation.

“At the same time, we are not ruling out that all those involved in the approving projects related to the case will be called,” he said.

On Jan 20, the MACC raided a Tan Sri’s residence in connection with an alleged corruption case involving procurement and management of the government’s fleet of vehicles worth RM4.5bil.

The MACC had also raided four companies, including a government vehicle supplier.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

Floods: 122 evacuated in Melaka as of 8am
Johor MB takes Ranhill SAJ to task over water cuts during festive period
Malaysia observes six celebrations in one week, a reflection of the country's diversity, says Unity Minister
Baby elephant killed after being hit by SUV on Gerik-Jeli road
KLIA shooting: I’m still traumatised by incident, says estranged wife
Melaka to give priority to a new hospital
Border security tightened in manhunt for suspect
Leaving none on the sidelines
PAS’ Hezry apologises over ‘insulting prayer remark’
Canada’s foreign student limit unlikely to affect M’sians

Others Also Read