Dengue cases down 6.8 percent in ME52. Four deaths reported, says Health DG


PUTRAJAYA: The number of dengue cases for the 52nd Epidemiological Week (ME52) of Dec 24-30 dropped by 6.8% to 2,715 cases compared to 2,913 cases in the previous week.

Health director-general Datuk Dr Muhammad Radzi Abu Hassan, in a statement on Friday (Jan 5) said four deaths due to dengue fever complications were reported in ME52, the last epidemiological week of 2023.

He said the cumulative dengue cases reported so far this year totalled 123,133, an increase of 86.3% compared to 66,102 cases recorded last year.

"A total of 100 deaths due to dengue fever complications were reported compared to 56 deaths in the corresponding period last year," he said.

Dr Muhammad Radzi said the number of dengue hotspots reported in ME52 was 134 localities compared to 131 in the previous week, with 104 localities in Selangor, nine in Perak, eight in Putrajaya and Kuala Lumpur, seven in Negeri Sembilan, two in Penang and Sabah and one each in Kedah and Sarawak.

On chikungunya, Dr Muhammad Radzi said one case was recorded in ME52, bringing he cumulative number so far this year to 197 cases.

On zika surveillance, he said 3,939 blood samples and 445 urine samples were screened and all were negative for the virus. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

BM fluency not grounds for rejecting applications, says Immigration Dept DG
Opposition lawmakers can ask Sabah govt for funds, says Hajiji
Three bus drivers slapped with summonses for making video calls, TikTok live while driving
Authorities having issues nabbing those using illegal fishing methods in Sabah's rivers
Copter tragedy: Victims’ families from Perak to get aid, says state exco man
Cops yet to identify owner of half million ringgit bag
KKB polls: 640 cops to be deployed, says Selangor deputy police chief
Defence Minister did right in handling of RMN copter tragedy, says PAS
Cops seize RM1.7mil in drugs bound for Sarawak at KLIA2, two nabbed
KLIA shooting: Gunman claims trial to seven charges

Others Also Read