Mums take over cooking duties at relief centre


Motherly instinct: Nurul Fadilah (left) preparing rice at the temporary relief centre at SMK Menerong in Kuala Berang, Terengganu. — Bernama

KUALA BERANG: A group of mothers have taken upon themselves to cook some decent meals to feed the 99 flood victims at the SMK Menerong temporary relief centre here.

These extraordinary women take turns to cook three meals a day.

“If one group has prepared breakfast, then the other groups will handle lunch and dinner.

“As for tea time, we usually munch on biscuits and make either coffee or tea... just enough to fill the stomach during this rainy season,” 40-year-old Nurul Fadilah Che Mat, from the Projek Penyusunan Semula Kampung (PPSK) Kampung Gunung Menerong, told Bernama.

She said there was no issue of food supplies being cut off at the relief centre, which was only opened on Monday after they were all transferred here from the PPSK Kampung Gunung Menerong relief centre, which had been inundated.

Nurul Fadilah, a housewife, added that when they were told to move to the new relief centre at SMK Menerong, they all worked together to bring along the food from the PPSK Kampung Gunung Menerong relief centre.

“So, there is no reason for there to be insufficient food supply here. The only thing lacking when we got here were blankets and mats, but we managed to get more on our own.

“Whatever we have in excess, we share. We also understand the tense situation facing the management team when opening a new relief centre. Anyway, we came prepared because we are used to it (floods),” she said.

Zuraida Yusof, 46, said the men too have helped out by ensuring the cleanliness of the centre’s surrounding area.

“As this centre is a school and our children also study here, it’s only natural for us to maintain its cleanliness although it is the school holidays. At least when our children come back to school, they will find it clean and comfortable,” she said.

The SMK Menerong relief centre was opened at 8.30pm on Monday to accommodate the 73 families transferred from the PPSK Kampung Gunung Menerong centre, which was closed after it was inundated.

However, Nur Fadilah said only 33 families chose to move to the new relief centre as the others decided to stay with their relatives elsewhere.

The Kampung Batu 23 relief centre also had to close for the same reason, with all 447 evacuees there being transferred to the SK Kuala Berang relief centre.

According to the Terengganu state disaster management committee secretariat, all relief centres in Besut have been closed, resulting in the number of flood victims in the state dropping to 5,412 people as at noon yesterday compared with 6,281 people as at 8am.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

Body of missing angler in Pedu Lake found
Country needs 84 new fire stations, says Nga
Health Ministry monitoring Covid-19 situation in Singapore, says Dr Dzul
High-risk slopes in Cameron Highlands being cleared for development again, claim residents
Stop speculating on Ulu Tiram attack, says Ahmad Maslan
Johor govt condemns deadly Ulu Tiram attack during state assembly
PM: Malaysia, Uzbekistan can forge strategic partnerships in areas of Muslim interest
Sarawak's political stability brings development, progress, says Zahid
Flood evacuees in Perak down to 100 as at 8am today
Simple anti-theft tips for cars

Others Also Read