Energy Commission denies approving Sabah battery energy storage project


KOTA KINABALU: The Energy Commission has denied approving any application to build a 100MW battery energy storage system (BESS) in Sabah.

In a statement on Friday (Oct 20), the commission said it had yet to receive any formal application for a stand-alone 100MW BESS installation in the state from any party and as such, could not have approved the project.

News reports online and in print on Thursday (Oct 19) and Friday carried news of the purported project's approval.

According to the reports, Sabah Electricity Sdn Bhd (SESB) will carry out the installation of a 100MW BESS as a short-term solution to the power supply issue in the state.

The reports quoted SESB chairman Datuk Seri Wilfred Madius Tangau as saying that the matter had been approved by the commission.

The commission added in the statement that it "respectfully requests all relevant news portals to make the necessary corrections to their reporting."

It advised the public to contact it at 03-8870 8800, by email at eaduan@st.gov.my or visit its website at www.st.gov.my for further information or enquiries.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

Toddler drowns in Seri Iskandar varsity lake
Malaysia exported 1.5 million arowana worth RM78mil in 2023, says Fisheries DG
Sabah’s air quality unaffected by Mt Ruang eruption, says state Health Dept director
Flights to and from Sabah back to normal, says MAHB
KLIA shooter was collecting medical report for new job in Saudi, say cops
Students required to declare health status before joining in school activities, says Negri Education Dept
Anwar signs autographs, meets with visitors at Madani Raya event in Sabah
Hanif Omar a 'legendary' policeman, says IGP
Errant cops nabbed a second time for extorting travellers at JB checkpoint
Sabah to soon get cardiology centre, says PM

Others Also Read