KUALA LUMPUR: The government have not made any decision in regards to bringing back two Malaysians held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail said it was still at an early stage and the government have just started discussing the matter with American authorities.
"It is still early... so there is no conclusion or decision yet.
"We will inform if there is any development," he told reporters after attending the Home Ministry's Madani programme at Bandar Tun Razak on Sunday (Oct 1).
The ministry also presented citizenship status to 19 recipients during the event.
Saifuddin said the government through the Home Ministry is committed to considering fairly each citizenship application.
"As of September, we have already made a decision on 9,539 applications.
"The process to amend the Federal Constitution in regards to citizenship rights is going smoothly and on schedule.
"Engagements with relevant stakeholders are also ongoing and we hope we will be able to table the proposed amendments during the coming Parliament session," he said.
Earlier this year, Saifuddin said the ministry hope to decide on at least 10,000 citizenship applications this year.
The Prime Minister's Datin Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail, who is also Bandar Tun Razak MP, also attended the event.