11-year-old hospitalised after eating cannabis cookies

IPOH: An 11-year-old girl helped herself to some “freshly baked chocolate biscuits” she found at home.

Little did she know that her 38-year-old father, a rubber tapper, had added cannabis to the food.

The girl ended up feeling nauseated, dizzy and short of breath.

She was rushed to the hospital for treatment.

Perak police chief Comm Datuk Seri Mohd Yusri Hassan Basri said the girl’s health is stable.

“The girl was initially sent to the Lawin health clinic by her father after she experienced the symptoms at her home in Gerik around 10.25pm on Monday.

“A medical assistant from the clinic informed police of the matter,” he said in a statement yesterday.

Comm Mohd Yusri said from the clinic, the girl was referred to the Gerik Hospital before being transferred to the Taiping Hospital.

He said the father, who tested positive for tetrahydrocannabinol, a type of psychoactive constituent of cannabis, had been arrested.

“He will be remanded until June 3 to facilitate investigations under Section 31(1)(a) of the Child Act and Section 15(1)(a) of the Dangerous Drugs Act,” he added.

Comm Mohd Yusri has called on the public to refrain from speculating on the incident.

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Next In Nation

Skipper, 42, dies in boat crash in Sandakan waters
Sabah's east coast identified as new economic growth hub, says Hajiji
Fatal Putrajaya crash: Apad issues show cause letter to trailer operator
Cops detain 12 locals, 11 foreigners involved in online job scam
258 Perak school co-ops recorded total revenue of over RM26mil in 2022, says exco rep
China-Sabah trade recorded RM6.56bil for first half of 2023, says Hajiji
Johor cops detain 13 lorry drivers after testing positive for drugs
Flood alert: 57 in Taiping evacuated after two-hour downpour
Over 5,000 units of Rumah Mesra Rakyat set to be built this year
King, Pahang Regent spend time with Sungkai folk

Others Also Read