KUALA LUMPUR: Former Perlis mentri besar Datuk Seri Azlan Man has been charged at the Sessions Court here with five counts of receiving proceeds from illegal activity amounting to RM1.06mil.
The 64-year-old pleaded not guilty after the charges were read out before Sessions judge Azura Alwi.
"I plead not guilty and claim trial," he said here on Wednesday (April 12).
According to the first to fifth charge sheets, Azlan was accused of receiving proceeds from illegal activity – RM208,339.90; RM196,651.00; RM224,404.40; RM222,811.95 and RM207,468.00 – from Sri Kedawang Travel & Tours (W) Sdn Bhd, Aidil Travel & Tours Sdn Bhd and one Abdul Rahim Halim who represented Aidil Travel.
All the money was allegedly received by the accused through three cheques, another cheque that was deposited into two bank accounts belonging to the accused, and cash from Abdul Rahim.
Azlan was accused of committing the offences at Maybank Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman, CIMB Bank Putrajaya and Sheraton Imperial Hotel here between Feb 19, 2014 and December 2017.
He was charged under Section 4(1)(b) of the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act (AMLATFPUAA) 2001.
If convicted, Azlan faces a maximum 15 years in jail and a fine of at least five times the amount of gratification or RM5mil, whichever is higher.
Deputy public prosecutor Ahmad Akram Gharib informed the court that the offence was non-bailable.
"However, we do not object if the court wishes to exercise its discretion to release the accused on bail and we therefore offer RM50,000 in one surety," Ahmad Akram said.
The DPP also said Azlan's passport had been surrendered to the Kangar Sessions Court on Monday (April 10).
The prosecution also informed the court that it would seek to have Azlan's case in Perlis to be tried together with the Kuala Lumpur case.
Azlan's lawyer Burhanudeen Abdul Wahid agreed with the bail amount offered by the prosecution.
Azura then fixed bail at RM50,000 in one surety and fixed June 9 for mention.
On Monday, Azlan pleaded not guilty in Kangar to five counts of false claims amounting to RM1.18mil between 2013 and 2017.