SEGAMAT: No spike in Covid-19 cases is expected during the upcoming Chinese New Year celebrations, says Dr Zaliha Mustafa.
The Health Minister said the number of Covid-19 cases was also on a downward trend, with fewer than 500 new cases reported daily.
“The ministry is closely monitoring the Covid-19 situation, and we have previous experience handling cases during festive seasons such as during Hari Raya Aidilfitri and Hari Raya Haji, including the recent general election.
“Although we expected a rise in infections during those times, it did not happen, and so far, based on the report we have, the cases are on a downward trend with less than 500 cases reported,” she said.
The Sekijang MP said this when met by reporters after the Chinese New Year meet-and-greet session at U Sentral Segamat, Taman Bandar Utama, here, on Saturday (Jan 14).
The ministry has also requested help from the Immigration Department to monitor all the entry points into the country, she added.
Dr Zaliha, however, stressed that members of the public should not be complacent and continue to take precautions and protect themselves from any risk.
“Continue to follow the standard operating procedures, practise the 3Ws (wash, warn, and wear masks), and avoid 3Cs (crowded places, confined spaces, and close conversation),” she added.
On Jan 10, Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah was reported as saying that the number of Covid-19 daily cases and hospitalisation rates were also on a downward trend.
“We have gone through various festive celebrations last year, such as the Hari Raya Aidilfitri celebrations, and observed that there was no surge in cases.
"Hence, we will stick to the same procedures practised during festive celebrations last year,” he said.