Socso scheme contributions will be necessary for vocational licences, says Dr Wee


KUALA LUMPUR: Applicants for vocational licences must also be contributors to the Social Security Organisation's (Perkeso) Self Employment Social Security Scheme (SKSPS), says Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong.

The Transport Minister said this will apply to applicants for vocational licences for e-hailing, taxi, bus and p-hailing services who fall under the self-employed category.

The contribution under the scheme could amount to about RM157 a year or RM13.10 per month.

“After this we will impose a condition that the applicant must contribute (to the scheme) in order to obtain the vocational licence,” he said while winding up the debate on the Road Transport (Amendment) Bill 2022 in the Dewan Rakyat on Thursday (Oct 6).

“This means to get the licence they must contribute to the scheme,” he added.

Dr Wee was responding to a suggestion by Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir (Pejuang-Jerlun) that promotion to raise awareness about the scheme must be intensified as some drivers may not be aware of it.

He agreed with the suggestion and said that for starters the government will pay about 80% while riders will have to bear the remaining 20% of the contribution.

“This is what we are doing and we are committed to ensuring that there is a social safety net to protect them if there is an accident,” said Dr Wee.

On a related note, Dr Wee said that the Road Transport Department (JPJ) has the power to conduct driving lessons and to issue vocational licences.

“However, if this is to be conducted by the JPJ, it will require a lot of resources and a high cost of infrastructure and operations. Hence, driving institutes have been given permission to conduct (driving lessons for vocational licences),” he said.

Dr Wee said that currently there are 240 driving institutes nationwide which are offering vocational driving lessons.

The Bill was passed after it was tabled for the second and third readings in the Dewan Rakyat Thursday.

It has 13 clauses and will reduce the minimum age for p-hailing vocational licence for motorcycles to 18 from the current age of 21 through amendments to Section 57 of the Act.

A vocational licence is a mandatory driving licence for those wanting to work as a rider or driver for public transportation and goods delivery.

In addition to that, the Amendment Bills for the Commercial Vehicles Licensing Board and Land Public Transport were also passed.

The two Amendment Bills were tabled by Deputy Transport Minister Datuk Henry Sum Agong.

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Stay united and prioritise the nation, says Nga
Appointment of Ahmad Zahid as DPM a betrayal of Pakatan voters, says Bersatu leader
Khairy congratulates newly-appointed successor, hopes she will uphold excellent public health system
I am honoured to be part of unity govt under Anwar, says Ewon on new ministerial appt
Cuepacs, MEF say Cabinet line-up possesses credibility, ability to work hard
Improve laws and women’s rights, says group
Sabah housewife loses over RM500,000 in love scam
Being appointed DPM a recognition for GPS, Borneo bloc, says Fadillah
Khaled helms Higher Education Ministry for a second time
Anwar hopes to restore economic confidence through new approaches in Finance Ministry

Others Also Read