Floods: Nine more relief centres in Johor closed, over 900 victims return home


JOHOR BARU: The flood situation in Johor continues to improve as nine more flood relief centres (PPS) have closed and 927 evacuees have returned home.

State Health and Environment Committee chairman R. Vidyananthan said as of 8am on Wednesday (Jan 12), 1,227 individuals from 351 families remain at 26 PPS operating statewide.

Currently, 547 people from 162 families are seeking shelter at eight PPS in Muar while 417 evacuees from 116 families are temporarily housed at eight PPS in Segamat.

“In Tangkak, 182 people from 55 families are housed at five PPS and in Batu Pahat, only one PPS is open to accommodate 18 families of 81 people.

“Sungai Muar at Bukit Kepong, Muar is the only river in the dangerous zone at 3.83m, which was on the downward trend compared to the 4.1m recorded at 4pm on Tuesday (Jan 11),” he said in a statement on Wednesday (Jan 12).

He added that there was only one death recorded so far, where a 63-year-old man drowned in the floods at Jalan Jalan Kuala Paya Serakek, Buloh Kasap Segamat on Jan 7.

Article type: free
User access status:
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Warisan might field candidates in Johor polls, says Shafie Apdal
UAV flight guidelines to be assessed
Hasni tells why he decided to go for snap polls in Johor
Pakatan keen to work with Muda and attract the young
After the long wait for state election, it’s over in minutes
Polls a litmus test for Bersatu and Undi18
MCA chief: We have always been ready for the polls
‘Dr M in stable condition’
Teachers allowed to be in politics
Groups: Don’t set hidden conditions for teachers

Others Also Read


Vouchers