JOHOR BARU: The Malay Chamber of Commerce Malaysia is aiming to raise RM200,000 to buy necessities for flood victims in the Klang Valley and east coast states.
Its Johor chapter vice-president Muhammed Farhan Basheer Ahamed said the non-governmental organisation had started to collect donations from members of the public on Tuesday (Dec 21) and expects to reach its target within 15 days.
"Those who wish to donate and help those in need can go through our Facebook page or the sumbangan.com website.
"The donations will be used to buy washing machines, cooking appliances, refrigerators and other necessities to be given away to the flood victims," he told reporters after the Chamber's Flood Donations Flag-Off ceremony at the Kejos Auto Parts Store here on Thursday (Dec 23).
He added that the first phase of the donation will be given to victims in Selangor and Negri Sembilan before moving to the other states in subsequent phases.
"Once we have collected enough donations, we will distribute it immediately to those in need, especially the poor families.
"We hope we can get RM200,000 in phase one within the next week, and move on to the next phase to help others in need," he said, adding that there are more than 60,000 flood victims, with the majority of them from Pahang and Selangor.
On the programme, Muhammed Farhan said the Johor chapter will be donating a total of 400 boxes of food aid and other necessities to flood victims in Jelebu and Ulu Langat.
"We will be helping victims in these two locations as a start before we move on to other locations that are also severely affected by the floods.
"Besides food, we have also provided some cleaning tools such as a water jet pump and rubber hoses," he said, adding that the Chamber is also planning to help small and medium-sized businesses that have been affected.
Meanwhile, Johor Baru Civil Defence Force Disaster Operations representative Captain (PA) Osmirizan Melan said this was the second time the department has worked together with the NGO in helping provide aid to flood victims.
"The first collaboration was during the floods in Kota Tinggi last year and this year (it is being) expanded to the other states affected by the recent flood.
"The collaboration is important in terms of organising a quick response team to send aid to the victims in both Selangor and Negri Sembilan," he said.
He added that the department has provided a 10-tonne truck and a 4WD vehicle to help transport food aid and other donations to the affected locations.
