KUALA LUMPUR (Bernama): Malaysia will not compromise with any country if there is a threat in the South China Sea, says Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.
He said he had stressed the matter several times in meetings with national representatives, as well as at international forums when he was the Defence Minister.
"We said that we will not compromise in terms of our sovereignty,” he said in an exclusive interview that was aired on local television stations on Sunday (Oct 3) night.
Meanwhile, on the National Security and Defence Industry policy, which is one of the nine areas focused in the 12th Malaysia Plan (12MP), he said the issue of security was very important, as the country’s development would be stunted if there was chaos and insecurity.
"Of course, the government has long paid attention to its security and defence. Even our budget last year increased compared to previous years because the sovereignty of the country cannot be compromised,” he said.
Ismail Sabri also described Ops Benteng, which is led by the Malaysian Armed Forces and assisted by 11 other agencies, had succeeded in preventing the entry of illegal immigrants, who may carry Covid-19 into the country.
He said the efforts had been strengthened with the addition of 19 border control posts and the construction of new camps, especially in Sabah and Sarawak. - Bernama