KUALA LUMPUR: Bukit Aman has not received any report of an alleged USD6mil (RM25mil) theft involving an individual that was previously being investigated by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).
Bukit Aman CID director Comm Datuk Seri Abd Jalil Hassan said he was aware that the viral news also claimed that three MACC officers were remanded for the theft.
"We have not received any police report pertaining to the alleged incident.
"We advise the public to be responsible social media users and avoid spreading unverified news or information," he said in a statement on Monday (Sept 20).
Stern action will be taken against those spreading fake news, he added.
A report in an online blog claimed that three MACC officers were remanded for six days since Sept 14 to assist investigations in connection with the theft of cash belonging to an individual who was previously investigated by the graft busters in 2018. The report went viral on social media.
The individual previously investigated by MACC was said to be freed by the courts, not amounting to an acquittal and the individual demanded for the seized cash be returned.
However, the blog claimed only some of the cash was still available while the remaining were counterfeit notes.
The blog also claimed that the individual lodged a report over the theft but the police instead let the MACC conduct their own investigations.