PETALING JAYA: The government would still be able to declare an enhanced movement control order in any area with a Covid-19 outbreak if need be until the end of the year under the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act (Act 342).
This is because the Federal Government has gazetted an extension of the order to declare an enhanced MCO in such areas from Aug 2 to Dec 31.
The order was signed by Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Adham Baba on July 21, the day the Cabinet agreed to revoke a number of Emergency Ordinances.
When contacted, Dr Adham confirmed that he signed the order.
According to the Federal Government Gazette, under Section 11 of Act 342, the order is cited as the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases (Declaration of Infected Local Areas) (Extension of Operation) (No. 2) Order 2021.
The gazette said that its operation which had been extended for the period from April 1 to Aug 1, 2021, is extended from Aug 2 to Dec 31, 2021.
“This Order comes into operation on Aug 2, 2021,” it said.
The Health Minister’s powers to sign the order is provided for by Section 11 of Act 342.