Selangor tops in new infections


PETALING JAYA: Selangor again recorded the highest number of new Covid-19 cases at 8,500 – with 72% of the positive cases detected via screenings at clinics or private laboratories, says Health director- general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah.

“This scenario was also seen in several other states. This indicates that the level of awareness has increased on getting Covid-19 tests, especially if there are symptoms,” he said in a statement yesterday.

Of the new cases in Selangor, a total of 4,884 (57.46%) were from screenings of close contacts, while 3,440 (40.47%) were from other screenings.

Kuala Lumpur reported 2,045 cases and Kedah had 1,216 yesterday.

The number of Covid-19 infections in the country had also surpassed the one million mark, as another record of 17,045 cases were reported.

Of the new cases, 97.5% were either asymptomatic or with mild symptoms. The other 2.5% of patients were diagnosed with pneumonia or severe symptoms.

Malaysia has now reported a cumulative total of 1,013,438 cases since the first case was discovered in February last year.

There were 92 new deaths, bringing the cumulative total to 7,994 or 0.79% of all cases since the beginning of the pandemic.

Twenty-seven deaths were reported in Selangor, followed by Johor (23), Kuala Lumpur (12) and Negri Sembilan (11).

Meanwhile, Dr Noor Hisham urged government contract doctors not to join any demonstration planned for today as that would mean abandoning their patients.

“Remember, many lives are on the line and the demonstration could affect lives and even your careers,” he appealed in a Facebook post.

He said while their desire to continue serving the ministry in a permanent post was understandable, the government had announced a two-year extension of their contract positions.

In another development, Health deputy director-general (public health) Datuk Dr Chong Chee Kheong is reported to have said that Klang Valley residents who tested positive for Covid-19 would be told to stay home and monitor themselves, and that they could use the Health Assessment Tool, a feature in the MySejahtera app.

He said a digital home surveillance order would be sent to them through MySejahtera, although they did not have to wear a pink tag.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Deputy minister says sorry after driver caught driving dangerously in Kelantan
Khalid Samad says he supported housing project proposal and not the company
Scheduled water supply disruption in five areas in Hulu Langat
Four arrested following scuffle in Cheras
Spas, wellness business, zoos in Sabah allowed to reopen from Friday (Oct 1)
Malaysia to lose over RM48bil if MM2H participants leave country, says Nazri
12MP: Include two Free Trade Zones to make state the preferred gateway for BIMP-EAGA, says SME Sabah
LHDN says not involved in alleged data leak
Seri Perdana renovation considers safety factors and country's image, says PM
Ahmad Zahid not transparent when extending UKSB's contract, court told

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers